Almanac: February 3, 2016
- 1911 - Jesse “Babyface” Thomas (d. 1995)
- 1927 - Val Doonican (d. 2015)
- 1928 - Frankie Vaughan (d. 1999)
- 1935 - Johnny “Guitar” Watson (d. 1996)
- 1937 - David Lerchey (Del-Vikings) (d. 2005)
- 1939 - Johnny Bristol (d. 2004)
- 1939 - Charlie James (Cleftones) (77)
- 1940 - Angelo D'Aleo (Belmonts) (76)
- 1941 - Chuck Tharp (Fireballs) (75)
- 1942 - Eric Haydock (Hollies) (74)
- 1943 - Dennis Edwards (Temptations) (73)
- 1945 - Johnny Cymbal (born John Blair) (d. 1993)
- 1946 - Stan Webb (Chicken Shack) (70)
- 1947 - Melanie (born Melanie Safka) (66)
- 1947 - Dave Davies (Kinks) (66)
- 1949 - Arthur Kane (New York Dolls) (d. 2004)
- 1956 - Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth) (60)
- 1958 - Lee Crystal (Joan Jett & the Blackhearts) (d. 2013)
- 1959 - Lol Tolhurst (Cure) (57)
- 1964 - Matraca Berg (52)
- 1965 - Nick Hawkins (Big Audio Dynamite) (51)
- 1970 - Richie Kotzen (Mr. Big) (46)
- 1977 - Daddy Yankee (born Ramon Rodriguez) (39)
- 1982 - Jessica Harp (Wreckers) (34)
- 1990 - Sean Kingston (26)
- 1959 - Buddy Holly - Plane crash (22)
- 1959 - Ritchie Valens - Plane crash (17)
- 1959 - Big Bopper - Plane crash (28)
- 1967 - Joe Meek (Tornados) - Suicide (37)
- 2002 - James Blackwood (Blackwood Brothers) - Complications of a stroke (82)
- 2004 - Cornelius Bumpus (Doobie Brothers, Moby Grape, Steely Dan) - Heart attack (58)
- 2004 - Gene Hughes (Casinos) - Car accident (67)
- 1956 - Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash record together at Memphis' Sun Studios in what would become known as the Million Dollar Quartet sessions.
- 1960 - Frank Sinatra started Reprise records.
- 1966 - Paul McCartney met Stevie Wonder, then 15, for the first time after a show by Wonder in London.
- 1969 - Beatles relations break down further when Paul McCartney disagrees with the other three member's decision to hire Alan Klein as their business manager.
- 1976 - David Bowie, in his Thin White Duke period, starts a U.S. tour in Seattle.
- 1977 - Elton John proved he couldn't stop performing, taking the stage in Sweden fifteen months after announcing his retirement from the stage.
- 1978 - Harry Chapin met with Jimmy Carter to discuss world hunger.
- 1991 - Sinead O'Connor said she would not attend the Grammys even though she had five nominations. She said they reflected “false and destructive materialistic values.”
- 1993 - Harry Connick, Jr. negotiated a plea bargain with New York authorities on the charge of having a gun in his carry-on luggage at Kennedy Airport.
- 1993 - Gloria Estefan received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 1996 - The Ramones said they had played their last show after 22 years together.
- 1996 - Queen Latifah was arrested for weapon and marijuana possession after she was stopped on a traffic infraction.
- 1999 - Tony Hadley, Steve Norman and John Keeble of Spandau Ballet were in a London court suing former member Gary Kemp over unpaid royalties.
- 1999 - Ice-T told students at the University of Toledo that a life of crime is not all it's cracked up to be.
- 1999 - Trace Adkins fractured and dislocated his ankle while surveying property. He required surgery the next day.
- 2002 - Britney Spears performed the National Anthem at Super Bowl XXXVI.
- 2003 - Phil Spector was arrested for the murder of actress Lana Clarkson.
- 2004 - R.Kelly plead not guilty to 21 charges of child pornography.
- 2004 - The Pixies announced they were going to reunite for a tour.
- 2006 - Sheryl Crow and cyclist Lance Armstrong ended their relationship.
- 2007 - Wayne Fontana was arrested and charged with arson with intent to endanger life after allegedly pouring gas over a bailiff's car and setting it on fire.
- 1966 - Carl Wilson (Beach Boys) and Annie Hinsche
- 1950 - Bill Monroe had his first recording session for Decca Records.
- 1961 - San Francisco Bay Blues - Bob Dylan (first recording)
- 1968 - Lady Madonna - Beatles (started recording)
- 1958 - Zoom, Zoom, Zoom - Collegians (single)
- 1998 - Yield - Pearl Jam
- 1978 - Dead Man's Curve (ABC) - Jan & Dean biopic
- 1996 - Touched By an Angel (CBS) - B.B. King
- 2003 - Living With Michael Jackson (U.K.)