Almanac: February 29, 2016
- 1904 - Jimmy Dorsey (d. 1957)
- 1916 - Dinah Shore (d. 1994)
- 1936 - Charles Cochran (Nashville keyboard player) (d. 2007)
- 1940 - Gretchen Christopher (Fleetwoods) (76)
- 1944 - David Briggs (producer) (d. 1995)
- 1972 - Dave Williams (Drowning Pool) (d. 2002)
- 1976 - Ja Rule (born Jeffrey Atkins) (40)
- 1980 - Chris Conley (Saves the Day) (36)
- 1996 - Wes Farrell (songwriter) (56)
- 2000 - Dennis Danell (Social Distortion) - Brain aneurysm (38)
- 2008 - Mike Smith (Dave Clark 5) - Pneumonia (64)
- 2012 - Davy Jones (Monkees) - Heart attack (66)
- 1944 - Jimmie Davis was nominated for the Democratic party governor in Louisiana.
- 1972 - John Lennon's U.S. Visa expired. It would be four years before it was renewed.
- 1980 - Buddy Holly's glasses worn when his plane crashed outside Clear Lake, IA were discovered in a police file.
- 1992 - U2 opened the North American portion of their Zoo TV tour in Lakeland, FL.
- 1992 - Travis Tritt joined the Grand Ole Opry. Trisha Yearwood made her Opry debut.
- 1996 - Status Quo sued the BBC Radio 1 for not adding their latest song to the playlist.
- 2000 - Eric Clapton lost his drivers license for six months due to speeding.
- 2000 - Elton John left his new Broadway show Aida after 15 minutes complaining about the way his music was being performed.
- 2000 - Sean Combs pleaded not guilty to charges of bribing a driver to say a 9mm handgun found in Combs' car was his.
- 1976 - Michael Nesmith and Kathryn
- 1988 - Now and Zen - Robert Plant
- 1968 - Grammy Awards
- Record - Up, Up & Away - 5th Dimension
- Album - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles
- Song - Up, Up & Away - Jimmy Webb
- New Artist - Bobbie Gentry
- Pop Female - Ode to Billie Joe - Bobbie Gentry
- Pop Male - By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Glen Campbell
- Pop Group - Up, Up & Away - 5th Dimension
- Contemporary Female - Ode to Billie Joe - Bobbie Gentry
- Contemporary Male - By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Glen Campbell
- Contemporary Group - Up, Up & Away - 5th Dimension
- Contemporary Single - Up, Up & Away - 5th Dimension
- Contemporary Album - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles
- R&B Female - Respect - Aretha Franklin
- R&B Male - Dead End Street - Lou Rawls
- R&B Group - Soul Man - Sam & Dave
- R&B Recording - Respect - Aretha Franklin
- Country Female - I Don't Wanna Play House - Tammy Wynette
- Country Male - Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell
- Country Duet, Trio or Group - Jackson - Johnny Cash & June Carter
- Country Recording - Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell
- Country Song - Gentle on My Mind - John Hartford
- Folk Performance - Gentle on My Mind - John Hartford
- 1964 - Thank Your Lucky Stars (UK) - Hollies
- 1984 - The Fall Guy (ABC) - Roy Rogers