Almanac: February 2, 2016
- 1927 - Stan Getz (d. 1991)
- 1934 - Skip Battin (Byrds, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Flying Burrito Brothers) (d. 2003)
- 1938 - Rusty Kershaw (Rusty & Doug) (d. 2001)
- 1940 - Alan Caddy (Tornados) (d. 2000)
- 1942 - Graham Nash (Hollies, Crosby Stills & Nash (& Young)) (74)
- 1943 - Peter Macbeth (Foundations) (73)
- 1945 - Ronnie Goodson (John Fred & the Playboy Band) (71)
- 1946 - Howard Bellamy (Bellamy Brothers) (70)
- 1947 - Peter Lucia (Tommy James & the Shondells) (69)
- 1948 - Alan McKay (Earth, Wind & Fire) (68)
- 1948 - Tony DeMeur (Fabulous Poodles) (68)
- 1949 - Ross Valory (Steve Miller Band, Journey) (67)
- 1963 - Eva Cassidy (d. 1996)
- 1965 - Steve Firth (Embrace) (51)
- 1966 - Robert Deleo (Stone Temple Pilots) (50)
- 1969 - John Spence (No Doubt) (d. 1987)
- 1971 - Ben Mize (Counting Crows) (45)
- 1974 - Bill Mohler (Calling) (41)
- 1977 - Shakira (born Shakira Ripoll) (38)
- 1980 - Gucci Mane (born Radric Davis) (36)
- 1983 - Alex Westaway (Fightstar) (33)
- 1983 - Will South (Thirteen Senses) (33)
- 1986 - Blaine Larsen (30)
- 1992 - Jacqueline Laviolette (Girl Authority) (24)
- 1979 - Sid Vicious (born John Ritchie) (Sex Pistols) - Drug overdose (21)
- 2001 - Hal Blair (songwriter (I Was the One, Please Help Me I'm Falling) (85)
- 2002 - Vance Terry (Bob Wills' band)
- 2007 - Joe Hunter (Funk Brothers) (79)
- 2007 - Billy Henderson (Spinners) - Complications of diabetes (67)
- 2007 - Eric Von Schmidt (75)
On This Day
- 1956 - The Coasters signed with Atlantic Records.
- 1959 - Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper played at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa.
- 1960 - Loretta Lynn signed her first contract with Zero Records.
- 1962 - The Beatles played their first professional show outside of their hometown of Liverpool at The Oasis Club in Manchester.
- 1963 - The Beatles start their first British tour in support of Helen Shapiro.
- 1973 - Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake & Palmer injures his hands when his piano prematurely explodes.
- 1980 - A march was held from Chelsea to Hyde Park in London in remembrance of Sid Vicious.
- 1985 - Charlie Daniels held Volunteer Jam XI in Nashville with Kris Kristofferson, Tom Wopat, Little Richard, Nicolette Larson, Alabama, Ted Nugent, Bill Medley, Lacy J. Dalton, Gail Davies, Eddy Raven, Emmylou Harris and Amy Grant
- 1989 - George Michael was awarded over $170,000 from the Sun newspaper after they reported that the singer had crashed a party for Andrew Lloyd Weber and was drunk.
- 1992 - Todd Rundgren and his wife Michele Gray have a son whom they name Rebop.
- 1993 - Willie Nelson and the IRS settle their tax feud. The $13.1 million balance will be settled for $3.6 million in assets and a $5.4 million payment from Nelson.
- 2001 - The city of Detroit decides to renege on their plan to give the key to the city to Ted Nugent after they learned some of his more unconventional views.
- 2001 - Buster Bloodvessel of Bad Manners was denied surgery after collapsing on stage in Italy with doctors telling him he was too heavy and wouldn't survive.
- 2004 - Clive Davis is made head of BMG records.
- 2004 - CBS apologized for the previous night's Super Bowl broadcast and the infamous Janet Jackson “wardrobe malfunction.”
- 2004 - Janet Jackson's song Just a Little While is leaked to the internet, forcing the label to release it as the first single from Damita Jo against their plans.
- 2005 - Michael Jackson's child molestation trial starts in Los Angeles with jury selection expected to take up to one month.
- 2008 - The Spice Girls cut their reunion tour short citing “family and personal commitments.”
- 2008 - Britney Spears father took over responsibility for her estate.
- 1997 - Paula Abdul and Brad Beckerman
- 2008 - Katherine McPhee and Nick Cokas
- 1969 - Yoko Ono and Tony Cox.
- 2006 - Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi) and Heather Locklear (Locklear filed)
- 1981 - Unwound - George Strait
- 1959 - Venus - Frankie Avalon (single)
- 1959 - Charlie Brown - Coasters (single)
- 1966 - 19th Nervous Breakdown - Rolling Stones (single)
- 1976 - A Trick of the Tail - Genesis (first since departure of Peter Gabriel)
- 1957 - Perry Como Show - Fats Domino
- 1967 - Top of the Pops (BBC) - Jimi Hendrix Experience
- 1973 - Midnight Special (NBC) (debut)
- 2002 - Saturday Night Live (NBC) - Britney Spears (host & musical guest)
- 2013 - CMT Crossroads (CMT) - Journey and Rascal Flatts