When Tom Hiddleston hits the big screen as Hank Williams in I Saw the Light, he won't be lip-syncing to one of Williams' records. That will be Hiddleston's own voice along with the group the Saddle Spring Boys.
Hiddleston, who is probably best known for playing Loki in a number of Thor and Avengers movies, was born in England, so it is a bit of a stretch for him to not only take on the southern persona of Williams, but also to sing his numerous classic songs.
In preparation for his role as Williams, Hiddleston honed his singing and guitar skills working with country singer, executive music producer, and soundtrack album co-producer Rodney Crowell. "After nearly a month spent collaborating with this gifted artist, I'm as respectful of the man's work ethic as I'm mystified by his transformational skills," said Crowell. "Without a doubt, the filmmakers chose the right actor for the job."
I Saw the Light is based on the book Hank Williams: The Biography by Colin Escott, and William (Bill) MacEwen. The film is slated for release in in New York, Los Angeles and Nashville on Friday, March 25 and nationwide on Friday, April 1st. In conjunction with the film's release, Legacy Recordings will release the official soundtrack album for the film on March 25 through all digital platforms.
Hiddleston takes on such Williams classics as Hey Good Lookin', Move It On Over, Jambalaya, Why Don't You Love Me and Honky Tonkin' while filling out the album are a variety of popular recordings contemporaneous to Hank's life and career, including Eddy Arnold's Anytime (1949), The Delmore Brothers' Field Hand Man (1951), Jo Stafford's The Tennessee Waltz (1950), Jimmy Liggins' That's What's Knockin' Me Out (1951), Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby (1953), George Morgan's Please Don't Let Me Love You (1949) and Emmett Miller's Lovesick Blues (1925), a show tune famously covered, and made a #1 Top C&W hit, by Hank Williams in 1949.
The track list:
- Hey Good Lookin' - Tom Hiddleston and the Saddle Spring Boys
- Move It On Over - Tom Hiddleston and the Saddle Spring Boys
- Anytime - Eddy Arnold
- Field Hand Man - The Delmore Brothers
- Jambalaya - Tom Hiddleston and the Saddle Spring Boys
- The Tennessee Waltz - Jo Stafford
- My Bucket's Got a Hole In It - Tom Hiddleston and the Saddle Spring Boys
- That's What's Knockin' Me Out - Tom Hiddleston and the Saddle Spring Boys
- Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt
- Why Don't You Love Me - Tom Hiddleston and the Saddle Spring Boys
- Please Don't Let Me Love You - George Morgan
- Honky Tonkin' - Tom Hiddleston and the Saddle Spring Boys
- Lovesick Blues - Emmett Miller
- Richard Bennett (Guitar)
- Luke Bulla (Fiddle)
- Rodney Crowell (Guitar and Vocals)
- Stuart Duncan (Fiddle)
- Larry Franklin (Fiddle)
- Wes Langlois (Guitar)
- Tim Lauer (Organ)
- Mickey Raphael (Harmonica)
- Michael Rinne (Bass)
- Chris Scruggs (Steel Guitar and Vocals)
- Nathaniel Smith (Cello)
- Takeio Stroud (Drums)