To be precise, Joan Baez was 75 years and 18 days old when she took the stage at the Beacon Theater in New York on Wednesday night, bot nobody in the sold out crowd cared.
Over the next two-hours, they would be treated to an overview of the singer's amazing career with some of her best known songs, many in unique arrangements as she brought numerous guests to the stage including David Bromberg, David Crosby, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Emmylou Harris, Jackson Browne, Richard Thompson, the Indigo Girls, Judy Collins, Damien Rice and Nano Stern.
Then there were the songs from other sources including Baez and guest Paul Simon on The Boxer, David Crosby on the Beatles' Blackbird, two gospel songs with Mavis Staples and a duet with Richard Thompson on She Never Could Resist a Winding Road, a song from Richard's latest album and one that Baez hinted was going to be on her upcoming set.
Everyone was back at the end of the night for Dylan's Forever Young.
The set list:
- God is God
- There But for Fortune
- Freight Train (with David Bromberg)
- Blackbird (with David Crosby)
- She Moved Through the Fair (with Damien Rice)
- Catch the Wind (with Mary Chapin Carpenter)
- Hard Times Come Again No More (with Emmylou Harris)
- Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos) (with Jackson Browne and Emmylou Harris)
- Seven Curses
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- Oh, Freedom (with Mavis Staples)
- Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around (with Mavis Staples)
- The Water Is Wide (with the Indigo Girls and Mary Chapin Carpenter)
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (with the Indigo Girls)
- House of the Rising Sun (with Richard Thompson and David Bromberg)
- She Never Could Resist a Winding Road (with Richard Thompson)
- Before the Deluge (with Jackson Browne)
- Diamonds and Rust (with Judy Collins)
- Gracias a la Vida (with Nano Stern)
- The Boxer (with Paul Simon and Richard Thompson)
- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (with Grace Stumberg)
- Happy Birthday
- Forever Young
Photo source: Twitter