There aren't a lot of surprises in the set list in Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band's latest tour in support of their expanded edition of The River. Having been a 19-song/2-CD set, over half the show was taken up with just a playing of that one album.
While that might be a disappointment to fans who are used to hearing a 3-hour mix of songs from throughout Springsteen's career, this is a chance to hear a classic album, in track order, from what is arguably Springsteen's greatest era (1975 to 1984).
The River was originally planned as a single album called The Ties That Bind but Springsteen ended up mixing in more solemn songs along with the up-tempo rockers for which he was known to create an album of ricocheting highs and lows.
In reality, twenty of the 34 songs performed on Saturday night were from The River as Springsteen opened with Meet Me in the City from the new expanded version of the album followed by the complete performance.
Once done with The River, Bruce launched into a long run of fan favorites along with starting the encore with a salute to the recently passed David Bowie.
The set list:
- Meet Me in the City (from The Ties That Bind: The River Collection, 2015)
- Full Performance of The River (1980)
- The Ties That Bind
- Sherry Darling
- Jackson Cage
- Two Hearts
- Independence Day
- Hungry Heart
- Out in the Street
- Crush on You
- You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
- I Wanna Marry You
- The River
- Point Blank
- Cadillac Ranch
- I'm a Rocker
- Fade Away
- Stolen Car
- The Price You Pay
- Drive All Night
- Wreck on the Highway
- Badlands (from Darkness on the Edge of Town, 1978)
- Wrecking Ball (from Wrecking Ball, 2012)
- Backstreets (from Born to Run, 1975)
- Because the Night (from Live 1975-1985, 1986 / The Promise, 2010)
- Brilliant Disguise (from Tunnel of Love, 1987)
- The Rising (from The Rising, 2002)
- Thunder Road (from Born to Run, 1975)
- Rebel Rebel (David Bowie cover)
- Bobby Jean (from Born in the U.S.A., 1984)
- Dancing in the Dark (from Born in the U.S.A., 1984)
- Born to Run (from Born to Run, 1975)
- Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (from The Wild, The Innocent & the E-Street Shuffle, 1973)
- Shout (Isley Brothers cover)