- 1909 - Victor Borge (d. 2000)
- 1916 - Maxene Andrews (Andrews Sisters) (d. 1995)
- 1917 - Leon McAuliffe (Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys) (d. 1988)
- 1926 - George Martin (90)
- 1926 - Danny Overbea (d. 1994)
- 1943 - Van Dyke Parks (73)
- 1945 - Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springsfield, Crosby, Stills & Nash) (71)
- 1946 - John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin, Them Crooked Vultures) (70)
- 1948 - Larry McNeely (Glen Campbell band) (68)
- 1954 - Ross the Boss (born Ross Friedman) (Dictators, Manowar) (62)
- 1955 - Palmolive (born Paloma McLardy) (Slits, Raincoats) (61)
- 1965 - Raymond McGinley (Teenage Fanclub) (51)
- 1969 - Nikki Nelson (Highway 101) (47)
- 1975 - Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk) (41)
- 1978 - Kimberley Locke (38)
- 1980 - Rob Arnold (Chimaira) (36)
- 1986 - Lloyd (born Lloyd Polite, Jr.) (30)
- 1980 - Amos Milburn - Stroke (52)
- 2002 - Zak Foley (EMF) - Drug overdose (31)
- 2002 - Juan Garcia Esquivel (83)
- 2012 - Bob Weston (Fleetwood Mac) - Gastrointestinal hemorrhage (64)
- 2014 - Phil Everly - Lung disease (74)
- 1950 - Sam Phillips opened the Sun Recording Studio in Memphis, TN.
- 1959 - Barry Gordy moved the Motown operation into the Hitsville U.S.A. House.
- 1963 - The Beatles started their first headlining tour in Elgin, Scotland.
- 1965 - Fender Guitars was purchased by CBS for $13 million.
- 1967 - Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys refused to be sworn in after he was drafted, saying he was a conscientious objector.
- 1970 - Davy Jones quit the Monkees.
- 1974 - Bob Dylan started his first tour in over seven years. The Band supported him.
- 1981 - David Bowie made his final appearance on Broadway in The Elephant Man.
- 1987 - Aretha Franklin became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the group's second selection. Also going in were the Coaster, Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley, Marvin Gaye, Bill Haley, B.B. King, Clyde McPhatter, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Smokey Robinson, Big Joe Turner, Muddy Waters and Jackie Wilson.
- 1991 - Billy Ray Cyrus signed his first recording contract with Mercury Records.
- 2001 - Vanilla Ice was arrested for fighting with his wife in Broward County, FL.
- 1987 - Vanessa Williams and Ramon T. Hervey
- 1992 - Jim Kerr (Simple Minds) and Patsy Kensit
- 2004 - Britney Spears and Jason Alexander
- 1990 - Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sarah Brightman
- 1957 - I'm Walkin' - Fats Domino
- 1970 - I Me Mine - Beatles
- 1960 - Ed Sullivan (CBS) - Bobby Darin, Connie Francis
- 1964 - Jack Parr Show (NBC) - Beatles (clip from The Mersey Sound (BBC), first appearance of Beatles on American TV)
- 1966 - Hullabaloo - Beatles
- 1969 - The Lulu Show (U.K.) - Jimi Hendrix