Almanac: January 2, 2016
- 1926 - Harold Bradley (90)
- 1930 - Julius La Rosa (86)
- 1936 - Roger Miller (d. 1992)
- 1946 - Chick Churchill (Ten Years After) (70)
- 1952 - Graeme Strachan (Skyhooks) (d. 2001)
- 1954 - Glen Goins (Parliament-Funkadelic) (d. 1978)
- 1955 - Dawn Silva (Sly & the Family Stone, Parliament-Funkadelic) (61)
- 1962 - Scott Underwood (Train) (54)
- 1964 - Keith Gregory (Wedding Present) (52)
- 1968 - Robert Gregory (Babybird) (48)
- 1975 - Chris Cheney (Living End) (44)
- 1976 - Douglas Robb (Hoobastank) (40)
- 1978 - Chris Hartman (Emerson Drive) (38)
- 1972 - Arthur Lee “Red” Smiley (Reno and Smiley) - Diabetes (46)
- 1974 - Tex Ritter - Heart attack (68)
- 1977 - Errol Garner - Cardiac arrest (53)
- 1981 - David Lynch (Platters) (51)
- 1997 - Randy California (Spirit) - Drowned saving son from rip current (45)
- 1998 - Nick Venet (producer) - Burkitt's lymphoma (61)
- 2012 - Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt (Iron Butterfly, Captain Beyond) - Cirrhosis of the liver (63)
- 1926 - The first issue of Britain's Melody Maker went on sale.
- 1955 - The funeral of Johnny Ace was held in Memphis, TN. 5,000 people attended.
- 1968 - A shipment of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Two Virgins album was seized by New Jersey authorities because of the nude cover. The albums were eventually wrapped in brown paper and sent to retail.
- 1969 - Filming began on the Beatles' rehearsals for the Let It Be documentary.
- 1975 - A U.S. District Judge allowed John Lennon and his lawyers to view his Department of Immigration files.
- 1979 - The trial of Sid Vicious in the murder of his girlfriend Nancy Spungen began in New York.
- 1996 - Arrested development announced they were breaking up.
- 2001 - Beyonce Knowles and Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child settled a lawsuit with former members LeToya Luckett and LaTavia Robinson who claimed they were forced out of the group.
- 2003 - 50 Cent was arrested when guns were found in his SUV.
- 2004 - Daniel Bedingfield fractured to vertebrae when he flipped his jeep in New Zealand.
- 1985 - Ron Wood and Jo Karslake
- 1994 - Danni Minogue and Julian McMahon
- 2011 - Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman
- 1941 - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - Andrews Sisters
- 1957 - To Each His Own, St. Louis Blues, more - Dominoes (Jackie Wilson's last recording session with the group).
- 1970 - My Woman, My Woman, My Wife - Marty Robbins
- 1978 - Wildmania - Wild Man Fischer (first release by Rhino)
- 1964 - Top of the Pops (BBC) - Rolling Stones
- 1971 - It's Cliff Richard (BBC) (premier)
- 1975 - Austin City Limits (PBS) - Willie Nelson (premier episode)