Grease will be the word on the Fox network Sunday, January 31 with a brand new, live, production of the show.
While NBC has been the developer of the new, live Broadway musical events (The Sound of Music, Peter Pan, The Wiz), both Fox and ABC have been looking to jump on the bandwagon.
Fox announced Grease earlier this year but plans have now been firmed up on the production. Grease will be directed by Thomas Kail (TV move The Critical Hour, Broadway's In the Heights, Hamilton) with set designs by David Korins (Annie, Godspell, Hamilton, Motown: The Musical) with those sets spread across three locations on the Warner Brothers lot. Adding to the complexity is that the show will be performed in front of a studio audience (or, we would assume, multiple audiences across the different locations).
Already cast are:
- Julianne Hough (Footloose, Dancing With the Stars) - Sandy
- Aaron Tveit (Les Miserables, Graceland) - Danny
- Vanessa Hudgens (High School Musical, Freaks of Nature) - Rizzo
- Carlos PenaVega (Big Time Rush, Dancing With the Stars) - Kenickie
- Carly Rae Jepsen (songs Call Me Maybe, Good Times) - Frenchie
- Keke Palmer (Akeelah and the Bee, Scream Queens) - Marty
- Kether Donahue (You're the Worst) - Jan
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell, Extra) - Vince Fontaine
- Nick Jonas (Jonas Brothers) - Teen Angel / Johnny Casino
- Martin Short (SCTV, Saturday Night Live) - Coach Calhoun
- Ana Gasteyer (Saturday Night Live) - Principal McGee