- 1935 - Virgil Johnson (Velvets) (80)
- 1939 - Ed Bruce (76)
- 1941 - Ray Thomas (Moody Blues) (74)
- 1942 - Jerry Summers (Dovells) (73)
- 1942 - Rick Danko (Band) (d. 1999)
- 1946 - Marianne Faithfull (69)
- 1947 - Cozy Powell (Rainbow, Whitesnake, Emerson Lake & Palmer) (d. 1998)
- 1948 - Charlie Spinosa (John Fred & the Playboy Band) (67)
- 1951 - Yvonne Elliman (64)
- 1951 - Laurel Massé (Manhattan Transfer) (64)
- 1954 - Roger Voudouris (d. 2003)
- 1955 - Neil Giraldo (60)
- 1961 - Jim Reid (Jesus and Mary Chain) (54)
- 1961 - Mark Day (Happy Mondays) (54)
- 1963 - Alex Gifford (Propellerheads) (52)
- 1965 - Dexter Holland (Offspring) (50)
- 1966 - Chris Barnes (Cannibal Corpse) (49)
- 1967 - Evan Seinfeld (Biohazard) (48)
- 1970 - Glen Phillips (Toad the Wet Sprocket) (45)
- 1970 - Aled Jones (45)
- 1970 - Dallas Austin (producer) (45)
- 1973 - Pimp C (born Chad Butler) (Underground Kingz (UGK)) (d. 2007)
- 1983 - Jessica Andrews (32)
- 1967 - Paul Whiteman (77)
- 1980 - Tim Hardin - Heroin overdose (39)
- 1994 - Eugene Tanner, Jr. (5 Royales) (58)
- 2011 - Robert Lee Dickey (aka Bobby Purify in James & Bobby Purify) (72)
- 1956 - Elvis Presley set a record at the time by having ten songs in the Top 100.
- 1963 - WMCA in New York is the first American station to play I Want to Hold Your Hand.
- 1963 - The Weavers played a farewell concert at Chicago's Orchestra Hall.
- 1967 - Dave Mason quit the group Traffic.
- 1982 - Jamaica issued commemorative stamps for Bob Marley.
- 1994 - Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes plead guilty for setting fire to her boyfriend's $1 million Atlanta mansion which was destroyed.
- 2000 - John Michael Montgomery falls while hunting and suffers a compound fracture of his right leg.
- 2000 - Bryan Ferry was on a jet that was overtaken by a man who wanted to fly the plane into the ground. He was overtaken by the crew.
- 2000 - Janet Jackson's former husband, Rene Elizondo, Jr., sues her for more than $10 million saying they had an agreement to split her assets.
- 2000 - John Michael Montgomery severely broke his ankle while hunting on ice.
- 2001 - Aretha Franklin filed a suit against the U.S. newspaper The Star for claiming she was having trouble with alcohol.
- 1957 - Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme
- 1975 - Grace Slick and Paul Kantner (both Jefferson Airplane)
- 2006 - Marilyn Manson and Dita Von Teese (filed by Von Teese)
- 1966 - Penny Lane - Beatles
- 1972 - Satin Sheets - Jeanne Pruett
- 1969 - Okie From Muskogee - Merle Haggard (album)
- 1966 - Top of the Pops (U.K. BBC) - Jimi Hendrix Experience