The Recording Academy has announced 26 new recordings which are to be added to the Grammy Hall of Fame.
With the new additions, the Academy has now enshrined 1,013 recordings over its 43 years with all displayed at their Los Angeles museum. To be eligible, a recording must have been made at least 25 years ago and exhibit qualitative and historical significance.
Neil Portnow, president/CEO of the Recording Academy, said "The Recording Academy remains dedicated to celebrating a wide variety of great music through the decades. Spanning more than 50 years, the 2016 GRAMMY Hall Of Fame entries are an outstanding collection, marked by both historical and cultural significance. These works have influenced and inspired both music creators and fans for generations and we are proud to induct them into our catalog of distinguished recordings."
Representing a great variety of tracks and albums, the 2016 Grammy Hall Of Fame inductees range from the Andrews Sisters' Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree (With Anyone Else But Me) to the Grateful Dead's American Beauty album. Also added to the highly regarded list are Blondie's Heart Of Glass, Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful, John Coltrane's 1961 album Lush Life, Roberta Flack's 1969 album First Take, Fleetwood Mac's self-titled 1975 album, and the O'Jays' For The Love Of Money. Other inductees include recordings by Jimmy Buffett, Fats Domino, Bob Dylan And The Band, John Lee Hooker, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, the Pretenders, and the Zombies, among others.
Louis Armstrong actually has two recordings being enshrined, the album Ella and Lewis with Ella Fitzgerald and the track (What Did I Do to Be So) Black and Blue.
The following are the new inductees:
- American Beauty - Grateful Dead
- The Basement Tapes - Bob Dylan & the Band
- Ella and Lewis - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
- First Take - Roberta Flack
- Lush Life - John Coaltrane
- Miles Smiles - Miles Davis Quintet
- Pretenders - Pretenders
- Randy Newman - Randy Newman
- Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker
- Celebration - Kool & the Gang
- Cold Sweat (Part 1) - James Brown
- The Dark End of the Street - James Carr
- Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else But Me) - Andrews Sisters
- The Fat Man - Fats Domino
- For the Love of Money - O'Jays
- Heart of Glass - Blondie
- I Love Rock 'N Roll - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
- The Loco-Motion - Little Eva
- Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
- Rock Island Line - Lead Belly
- She's About a Mover - Sir Douglas Quintet
- She's Not There - Zombies
- This Train - Sister Rosetta Tharpe
- (What Did I Do to Be So) Black and Blue - Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra
- You Are So Beautiful - Joe Cocker