by Music-News.com Newsdesk and VVN Music
Björk's highly-acclaimed eighth studio album, Vulnicura, is Rough Trade's Album of the Year, the iconic record store and indie label announced today.
"Bold, defiant, personal, with signature kaleidoscopic exuberance," Rough Trade says of the album. "This is a truly extraordinary work of art. In a male-dominated music business, Björk is an inspirational game-changer, someone we hugely respect and admire, an artist we can't recommend highly enough."
Vulnicura was written, produced and recorded in collaboration with Venezuelan producer Arca and British musician The Haxan Cloak. Of the album's nine tracks, six are written by Björk with two co-written with Arca and one co-written with Spaces.
Six songs are produced by Björk and Arca, one by Björk, Arca and The Haxan Cloak and two by Björk. All string arrangements are by Björk. The album was mixed by The Haxan Cloak and engineered by Chris Elms, with two songs mixed by The Haxan Cloak and Elms, and mastered by Mandy Parnell.
Vulnicura is Björk's first release since the 2011 album and multimedia project Biophilia.
Rough Trade is the first site or publication to issue their top albums of the year.
Along with Bjork, thirteen other veteran artists made the top 100 including composer Max Richter whose From Sleep came in at number 5.
The top ten albums of the year according to Rough Trade plus veteran artists who placed farther down the chart.
- 01. Vulnicura - Bjork
- 02. I Love You, Honeybear - Father John Misty
- 03. Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit - Courtney Barnett
- 04. Perpetual Motion People - Ezra Furman
- 05. From Sleep - Max Richter
- 06. My Love is Cool - Wolf Alice
- 07. The Epic- Kamasi Washington
- 08. High - Royal Headache
- 09. Projections - Romare
- 10. In Colour - Jamie XX
- 23. FFS - FFS (Franz Ferdinand & Sparks)
- 37. Hollow Meadows - Richard Hawley
- 39. Music Complete - New Order
- 46. Slurrup - Liam Hayes (formerly known as Plush)
- 51. Moonbuilding 2703 AD - The Orb
- 54. Man Plans, God Laughs - Public Enemy
- 55. The Light in You - Mercury Rev
- 59. Alternative Light Source - Leftfield
- 60. No Cities to Love - Sleater-Kinney
- 71. What the World Needs Now - Public Image Ltd.
- 93. Ones and Sixes - Low
- 99. 1989 - Ryan Adams