- 1929 - Berry Gordy (86)
- 1930 - A.L. "Doodle" Owens (country songwriter) (d. 1999)
- 1932 - Ray Perkins (Crew-Cuts) (83)
- 1939 - Gary Troxel (Fleetwoods) (76)
- 1940 - Clem Curtis (Foundations) (75)
- 1940 - Bruce Channel (75)
- 1943 - Randy Newman (72)
- 1944 - R.B. Greaves (d. 2012)
- 1948 - Beeb Birtles (born Gerard Bertelkamp) (Little River Band) (67)
- 1949 - Paul Shaffer (66)
- 1954 - David Jaynes (Modern Romance) (61)
- 1956 - Kristine Arnold (born Kristine Oliver) (Sweethearts of the Rodeo) (59)
- 1956 - David Van Day (Dollar, Bucks Fizz) (59)
- 1962 - Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden) (53)
- 1968 - Dawn Robinson (En Vogue) (47)
- 1970 - Matt Cheslin (Ned's Atomic Dust Bin) (45)
- 1973 - Jade Puget (AFI) (42)
- 1974 - apl.de.ap (born Allan Lindo, Jr.) (Black Eyed Peas) (41)
- 1974 - Styles P (born David Styles) (41)
- 1979 - Chamillionaire (born Hakeem Seriki) (36)
- 1983 - Rostam Batmanglij (Vampire Weekend) (32)
- 1984 - Trey Songz (31)
- 1993 - Jerry Edmonton (Steppenwolf) - Car accident (47)
- 2001 - Kal Mann (songwriter, Teddy Bear, Wild One, Let's Twist Again, Limbo Rock) - Alzheimer's disease (84)
- 2002 - Dave "Snaker" Ray - Lung cancer (59)
- 1925 - The WSM Barn Dance debuted on the radio. It would later become the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1964 - Willie Nelson made his debut at the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1968 - John Lennon plead guilty to marijuana possession but is found not guilty of assaulting a police officer.
- 1974 - John Lennon performed with Elton John at Madison Square Garden. It would turn out to be his last concert appearance.
- 1979 - Ringo Starr's Los Angeles home burned down.
- 1990 - Charges were dropped against Guns 'N Roses singer Axl Rose in a charge of his attacking a neighbor.
- 1992 - Marty Stuart became a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
- 1995 - Brian Eno was given the Turner Prize for art in London.
- 2002 - Tony McCarroll, the original drummer for Oasis, lost in his bid to sue the group after he failed to file within the six-year time limit.
- 2005 - Chris Cornell of Soundgarden sued his ex-wife and former manager for $1 million claiming that she gave money due to him to other members of the group.
- 2006 - Snoop Dogg was arrested after police found marijuana, cocaine and a firearm in his car during a traffic stop.
- 1941 - Eddy Arnold and Sally Gayheart
- 1962 - Yoko Ono and Anthony Cox
- 2006 - Kimberley Roads (Little Big Town) and Stephen Schlapman
- 2006 - Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson (filed by Anderson)
- 1967 - Christmas Time is Here Again - Beatles (last fan club recording)
- 1972 - Behind Closed Doors - Charlie Rich
- 1960 - Hoochie Coochie Coo - Hank Ballard & the Midnighters (single)
- 1970 - My Sweet Lord - George Harrison (single)
- 1970 - Your Song - Elton John (single)
- 1984 - I Would Die 4 U - Prince (single)
- 1976 - Nationwide (BBC) - Sex Pistols
- 1976 - London Weekend Show (ITV) - Sex Pistols
- 1992 - Neil Diamond's Christmas Special (HBO)
- 2003 - CMT Crossroads - Dolly Parton and Melissa Etheridge
- 2006 - Tonight Show (NBC) - Snoop Dogg