A group of eclectic artists came together on Monday night at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles to salute the folk-rock music of the 60's.
Echoes in the Canyon, which was timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man album, saw both veteran and modern artists cover the music of the Mamas and the Papas, the Beach Boys, the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Association, the Turtles, the Monkees and Love.
Jakob Dylan was the glue that held the night together, taking the stage with each of the artists and accompanying them on guitar with occasional vocals thrown in. He most frequently collaborated with vocalist Jade Castrinos, a former member of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, who took lead on four songs. Most other artists were afforded only one or two including veterans Beck and Cat Power.
While some of the most popular singles that came out of California of the 60's were covered, there was still room for a few deeper cuts like the Monkee's She (handled by Dylan alone) and Love's No Matter What You Do (by Regina Spektor and Dylan). The entire cast returned to the stage for the final song, the Mamas and the Papas' Monday Monday.
The set list:
- Go Where You Wanna Go - Jade & Jakob Dylan
- Dedicated to the One I Love - Jade & Jakob Dylan
- Going Back - Beck & Jakob Dylan
- Bells of Rhymney - Beck & Jakob Dylan
- In My Room - Fiona Apple & Jakob Dylan
- It Won't Be Wrong - Fiona Apple & Jakob Dylan
- Never My Love - Cat Power & Jakob Dylan
- She - Jakob Dylan
- Questions - Jade & Jakob Dylan
- You Showed Me - Cat Power & Jakob Dylan
- No Matter What - Regina Spektor & Jakob Dylan
- I Just Wasn't Made For These Times - Jade & Jakob Dylan
- Expecting to Fly - Regina Spektor & Jakob Dylan
- What's Happening - Jakob Dylan
- Monday Monday - All Artists