Don Henley has officially won the battle of new country albums with his Cass County debuting at number 3 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums compared to a number 4 start for George Strait's Cold Beer Conversation.
It's an even bigger defeat on the Country Albums where Henley starts at 1 and Strait at 2, breaking George's sixteen year, nine album streak of number 1's. His last set not to make the summit was 1999's Always Never the Same which also went to number 2.
Cass County is Henley's highest charting album of his solo career. His last set, 2000's Inside Job, peaked at 7 and 1989's The End of the Innocence at 8.
Last week, there were five veteran artists in the Billboard top twenty but almost all of those albums have quickly faded. Ryan Adams' 1989 has fared the best, dropping from 7 to 22 in its second week. David Gilmour fell 5 to 35, Keith Richards 11 to 45, Alabama 14 to 59 and Chris Cornell 19 to 108.
Widespread Panic premiers at 53 with Street Dogs. That's a drop from their last studio effort, 2010's Dirty Side Down, which peaked at 27 and became their highest charting album.
Tony Bennett has his lowest charting non-holiday studio album since, like Strait, 1999 with The Silver Lining - The Songs of Jerome Kern, a collaboration with Bill Charlap, which debuts at 96. In that year, Tony only went to 161 with his album Bennett Sings Ellington: Hot & Cool. Since then, he has had a steller record, especially for a singer in his late-70's and 80's.
- Playin' With My Friends: Bennett Sings the Blues (2001 / #50)
- A Wonderful World (with k.d. lang) (2002 / #41)
- The Art of Romance (2004 / #65)
- Duets: An American Classic (2006 / #3)
- Duets II (2011 / #1)
- Viva Duets (2012 / #5)
- Cheek to Cheek (with Lady Gaga) (2014 / #1)
- The Silver Lining - The Songs of Jerome Kern (with Bill Charlap) (2015 / #96)
- Fetty Wap - Fetty Wap
- What a Time to Be Alive - Drake & Future
- Cass County - Don Henley
- Cold Beer Conversation - George Strait
- Beauty Behind the Madness - The Weeknd
- The Hills - The Weeknd
- What Do You Mean? - Justin Bieber
- Can't Feel My Face - The Weeknd
- Hotline Bling - Drake
- Watch Me - Silento
- Album Sales - Cass County - Don Henley
- Country Albums - Cass County - Don Henley
- Folk Albums - 1989 - Ryan Adams
- Jazz Albums - The Silver Lining: The Music of Jerome Kern - Tony Bennett & Bill Charlap
- Latin Pop Albums - Mexico - Julio Iglesias
- Catalog Albums - The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
- Tastemaker Albums - Cass County - Don Henley
- Country Airplay - Save It For a Rainy Day - Kenny Chesney
- Adult R&B Songs - No Sleeep - Janet Jackson Featuring J. Cole
- Dance Club Songs - Feel the Vibe - Bob Sinclar Featuring Dawn Tallman
- Smooth Jazz Songs - I'm Back - Walter Beasley
- Hot Gospel Songs - Wanna Be Happy? - Kirk Franklin
- Gospel Digital Songs - Wanna Be Happy? - Kirk Franklin
- Latin Digital Songs - El Perdon - Nicky Jam & Enrique Iglesias
- Latin Streaming Songs - El Perdon - Nicky Jam & Enrique Iglesias