Almanac: October 3, 2015
- 1938 - Eddie Cochran (d. 1960)
- 1940 - Alan O'Day (d. 2013)
- 1941 - Chubby Checker (74)
- 1941 - Lenny Waronker (producer) (74)
- 1945 - Antonio Martinez (Los Bravos) (70)
- 1946 - P.P. Arnold (born Patrica Ann Cole) (69)
- 1949 - Lindsey Buckingham (66)
- 1950 - Ronnie Laws (65)
- 1951 - Keb' Mo' (born Kevin Moore) (64)
- 1951 - Jack Grondin (.38 Special) (64)
- 1954 - Stevie Ray Vaughan (d. 1990)
- 1959 - Jack Wagner (56)
- 1961 - Robbie James (Modern Romance) (54)
- 1962 - Tommy Lee (Motley Crue) (53)
- 1966 - Dan Miller (They Might Be Giants) (49)
- 1966 - Frank Hannon (Tesla) (49)
- 1969 - Gwen Stefani (No Doubt) (46)
- 1971 - Kevin Richardson (Backstreet Boys) (44)
- 1972 - Garrett Dutton (G. Love & Special Sauce) (43)
- 1972 - Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust) (43)
- 1975 - India.Arie (40)
- 1975 - Talib Kweli (born Talib Greene) (40)
- 1978 - Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters) (37)
- 1980 - Danny O'Donoghue (Script) (35)
- 1983 - Cherrill Green (Eden's Edge) (32)
- 1984 - Ashlee Simpson (31)
- 1967 - Woody Guthrie - Huntington's disease (55)
- 1969 - Skip James (67)
- 1976 - Victoria Spivey - Internal haemorrhage (69)
- 1999 - Akio Morita (founder of Sony) - Pneumonia (78)
- 2000 - Benjamin Orr (Cars) - Pancreatic cancer (53)
- 2002 - Darryl DeLoach (Iron Butterfly) - Liver cancer (55)
- 2008 - Johnny J (born Johnny Jackson) (producer) - Suicide (39)
- 1945 - Elvis Presley made his first public performance at the Mississippi-Alabama Diary Show. He is ten years old.
- 1958 - The Biggest Show of Stars tour opened in Worcester, MA with the amazing lineup of Buddy Holly, Bobby Darin, Frankie Avalon, Dion & The Belmonts, Duane Eddy, Clyde McPhatter, The Coasters, The Olympics, Bobby Freeman, The Elegants, Jimmy Clanton, and The Danleers.
- 1961 - The Country Music Hall of Fame inducted their first class: Jimmie Rodgers, Fred Rose and Hank Williams.
- 1970 - Jack Bruce, John McLaughlin, Larry Young and Tony Williams formed Lifetime.
- 1978 - Aerosmith bailed thirty concert goers out of jail after they were arrested for smoking marijuana in Fort Wayne, IN.
- 1980 - Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band opened its latest tour in Ann Arbor, MI.
- 1981 - The Tokens reunited at New York's Radio City Music Hall after over a decade apart.
- 1987 - It was Brenda Lee day in her hometown of Lithonia, GA.
- 1988 - The documentary Imagine: John Lennon was premiered in Los Angeles, CA.
- 1990 - A Ft. Lauderdale, FL record store owner was convicted of obscenity for selling a 2 Live Crew album that had already been ruled too vulgar for the public.
- 1991 - Ann Richardson, the governor of Texas, declared it Stevie Ray Vaughan day.
- 1992 - Sinead O'Connor caused immense controversy when she tore up a picture of the pope in protest of abortion laws while appearing on Saturday Night Live.
- 1994 - Eric Clapton kicked off his Nothing But the Blues tour.
- 1997 - Sugar Ray is forced to postpone their European tour after singer Mark McGrath hurts his leg during the first show.
- 1998 - Farm Aid '98 was held in Tinley Park, IL with Willie Nelson, Phish, Neil Young, John Mellencamp, Steve Earle, Del McCoury Band and Wilco
- 2000 - Mark Chapman, the man who assassinated John Lennon, was denied parole after twenty years in prison.
- 2006 - The United States Supreme Court refused to hear a lawsuit by Vinnie Vincent against Kiss over royalties.
- 2007 - The Rolling Stones broke the record for top grossing tour as the A Bigger Bang trek earned $558 million.
- 2013 - Michael Jackson's family lost a suit against AEG Live where they partially blamed the concert promoter for Michael's death.
- 1988 - Lisa Marie Presley and Danny Keough
- 1969 - Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand in the Snow) - John Lennon
- 1924 - The Prisoner's Song/The Wreck Of The Old 97 - Vernon Dalhart (the first southern/country song to become popular among a general audience)
- 1981 - Songs in the Attic - Billy Joel
- 1989 - Sound + Vision - David Bowie
- 2000 - Warning - Green Day
- 2006 - It Just Comes Natural - George Strait
- 2004 - VH1 Hip Hop Honors (Inaugural Ceremony)
- Honorees - DJ Hollywood, Kool Herc, KRS-One, Public Enemy, Run-DMC, Rock Steady Crew, Sugarhill Gang, 2 Pac, The Graffiti Movement
- 1957 - The Pat Boone Chevy Showroom (ABC) (Premier)
- 1960 - American Bandstand - Ike & Tina Turner
- 1980 - The Police in the East (BBC) - Police
- 1992 - Saturday Night Live - Sinead O'Connor
- 2003 - CMT Crossroads - John Mellencamp and Kenny Chesney