Almanac: October 1, 2015
- 1924 - Roger Williams (d. 2011)
- 1929 - Bonnie Owens (d. 2006)
- 1930 - Richard Harris (d. 2002)
- 1932 - Albert Collins (d. 1993)
- 1935 - Julie Andrews (80)
- 1939 - Scott McKenzie (d. 2012)
- 1942 - Herb Fame (Peaches & Herb) (73)
- 1943 - Jerry Martini (Sly & the Family Stone) (72)
- 1944 - Barbara Parritt (Toys) (71)
- 1944 - Herbert "Tubo" Rhoad (Persuasions) (d. 1988)
- 1945 - Donny Hathaway (d. 1979)
- 1947 - Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash) (68)
- 1947 - Rob Davis (Mud) (68)
- 1947 - Mariska Veres (Shocking Blue) (d. 2006)
- 1948 - Cub Koda (Brownsville Station) (d. 2000)
- 1951 - Brian Greenway (April Wine, Mashmakhan) (64)
- 1955 - Howard Hewett (Shalamar) (60)
- 1957 - Andy Walton (Kenny) (58)
- 1958 - Martin Cooper (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) (57)
- 1959 - Youssou N'Dour (56)
- 1968 - Kevin Griffin (Better Than Ezra) (47)
- 1974 - Keith Duffy (Boyzone) (41)
- 1985 - Dizzee Rascal (born Dylan Mills) (30)
- 1975 - Al Jackson, Jr. (Booker T. & the MGs) - Murdered (39)
- 1986 - Andy McVann (Farm) - Car accident during a police chase (21)
- 2004 - Bruce Palmer (Buffalo Springfield) - Heart attack (58)
- 1956 - Elvis Presley went back to the studio to shoot a new ending for his film, Love Me Tender, after test audiences reacted adversely to his death.
- 1962 - The Beatles signed a new, revised contract with manager Brian Epstein.
- 1965 - Bob Dylan played Carnegie Hall with his new band made up of Robbie Robertson, Garth Hudson, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel and Levon Helm.
- 1966 - Jimi Hendrix appeared for the first time in the U.K.
- 1967 - Traffic played live for the first time in London.
- 1967 - Mick Jagger's London apartment was robbed with furs and jewels belonging to his girlfriend, Marianne Faithful, taken.
- 1967 - Pink Floyd traveled to New York to open their first U.S. tour.
- 1970 - Jimi Hendrix was buried at the Greenwood Cemetary in Seattle.
- 1970 - 2,000 people rioted in Milan, Italy when they couldn't get into a Rolling Stones concert.
- 1970 - Curtis Mayfield left the Impressions.
- 1971 - Gene Vincent had his last studio session, cutting music for British radio.
- 1977 - Elton John became the first musician to be inducted into New York's Madison Square Garden Hall of Fame.
- 1977 - Rat Scabies quit the Damned.
- 1980 - The movie One Trick Pony, starring Paul Simon, premiered in New York.
- 1981 - The Pretenders canceled the balance of their current tour after Martin Chambers put his hand through a window.
- 1983 - The first postage stamp honoring ABBA was released in Sweden.
- 1987 - Def Leppard started the North American leg of their Hysteria tour in Glens Falls, NY.
- 1995 - Farm Aid '95, the 10th anniversary concert, is held in Louisville, KY with Hootie and the Blowfish, Dave Matthews Band, BlackHawk, John Conlee, The Supersuckers, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young.
- 1995 - George Jones Place was named in Beaumont, TX.
- 1998 - John Fogerty received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 2000 - INXS, Men at Work and John Paul Young perform at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics in Sydney.
- 2000 - Mac Davis, Allen Reynolds, Billy Edd Wheeler & Randy Goodrum were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.
- 2003 - Bruce Springsteen has to get himself to Shea Stadium after police refused to give him an escort. They were protesting the song American Skin (41 Shots).
- 2004 - AC/DC Lane was officially opened in Melbourne, Australia.
- 2004 - The Vote For Change tour opened in Philadelphia with Bruce Springsteen, R.E.M., John Fogerty and Bright Eyes.
- 2005 - Dierks Bentley became a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
- 2006 - George Michael is arrested for drug possession after he is found slumped over the steering wheel of his car in London.
- 2007 - Radioheads website crashed after they announced that their new album, In Rainbows, would be available exclusively through the venue for whatever price you wanted to pay.
- 2007 - The reunion concert of the Spice Girls at the O2 arena sold out in 38 seconds.
- 2007 - Keith Urban skidded off his motorcycle in Sydney, Australia while being followed by paparazzi. He was unhurt.
- 2011 - Gene Simmons (KISS) and Shannon Tweed
- 2003 - Eric Benet and Halle Berry (separation)
- 1969 - Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn
- 1964 - Bitter Tears: Ballads of the American Indian - Johnny Cash
- 1966 - I Love My Dog - Cat Stevens (single)
- 1986 - Patty Loveless - Patty Loveless (debut album)
- 1996 - From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah - Nirvana
- 2011 - Saturday Night Live (NBC) - Lady Antebellum