The Americana Music Awards brought their performance filled show to the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville last night with Lucinda Williams taking one of the major trophies.
Williams's Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone took home the Album of the Year Award while the Mavericks won Duo/Group of the Year. The only multiple winner for the night was Sturgill Simpson who took Artist of the Year and Song for Turtles All the Way Down.
While there are only six awards on which members vote, there are an equal number of honorary acknowledgements which were taken by a series of veteran artists. The late B.B. King was given the President's Award while Buffy Sainte-Marie received the Spirit of America/Free Speech in Music Award, Don Henley the Trailblazer Lifetime Achievement Award, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings the Songwriting Lifetime Achievement Award, Ricky Skaggs the Instrumentalist Lifetime Achievement Award and Los Lobos the Performance Lifetime Achievement Award.
Of course, the real highlight of the Americana Awards is the performances and Wednesday night was no exception. The following is an incomplete list of the songs played:
- Rock My Soul - Robert Randolph, the Fairfield Four and the McCrary Sisters
- Cass County - Don Henley
- ? - Lee Ann Womack
- Dearly Departed - Shakey Graves
- ? - Buffy Sainte-Marie
- ? - Houndmouth
- ? - John Hiatt & Ry Cooder
- Angie's Song - Doug Seegers
- Right Time - Nikki Lane
- How Blue Can I Get - Keb' Mo
- ? - Rhiannon Giddens
- ? - Lone Below
- ? - Mavericks
- ? - Jim Lauderdale
- ? - Ricky Skaggs, Sharon White, the Whites, Ry Cooder
- Cold Cold Heart - Buddy Miller and Marc Ribot
- East Side of Town - Lucinda Williams
- Something More Than Free - Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires
- ? - Dave Rawlings Machine
- ? - Los Lobos and Full Cast