The National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) have announced the nominees for their 31st Annual Technical Excellence & Creativity Awards.
While there are a number of categories covering film, television and studio design, there are four that are specific to popular music. James Taylor is included in three of the four categories including Album Production, Single Production and Tour/Event Production while the Foo Fighters are up for two, Remote Production and Tour/Event Production.
Other veteran artists to receive nominations include Toto, Diana Krall, Prince, Beck, the Grateful Dead and the Rolling Stones.
In addtion, the founders of Record Plant will be inducted into the NAMM TEC Hall of Fame for their exemplary work in capturing iconic music that stretches across generations of the American musical experience, including Stevie Wonder’s Songs in the Key of Life, The Eagles’ Hotel California and live recordings captured with the Rolling Stones and Eric Clapton. At the helm of three Record Plant studios were Chris Stone and the late Gary Kellgren. Their New York-based Studio A was the first studio designed for mixing quadraphonic (surround) sound.
Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter, whose guitar licks with Steely Dan, the Doobie Brothers and many more are included on the shelves of music’s most successful discographies, will be inducted into the NAMM TEC Hall of Fame for his myriad contributions to music. A sought-after solo and session player, Baxter’s career fluidly moves between a mixture of genres from pop to country to rock, fusion and beyond.
Record Production / Album
- Before This World - James Taylor
- Smoke + Mirrors - Imagine Dragons
- How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence and the Machine
- Toto XIV - Toto
- Wallflower - Diana Krall
- Bad Blood - Taylor Swift
- Baltimore - Prince
- Bloodstream - Ed Sheeran and Rudimental
- Dreams - Beck
- Stretch Of The Highway - James Taylor
- Foo Fighters Sonic Highways
- 57th Annual Grammy Awards
- 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
- 13th Annual A Great Night in Harlem
- Carnegie Hall's Opening Night Gala: Berlin Philharmonic - Sir Simon Rattle & Anne Sophie Mutter
- Before This World Tour - James Taylor
- 1989 World Tour - Taylor Swift
- Fare Thee Well - Grateful Dead
- Sonic Highways World Tour - Foo Fighters
- Zip Code Tour - Rolling Stones