Carole King was presented with the MusiCares Person of the Year Award on Friday in Los Angeles with a full night of her music performed from stars from all eras.
Among the many highlights of the night was Lady Gaga's performance of You've Got a Friend which Roger Friedman at Showbiz411 said "just blew everyone away with an intimate, throaty, bluesy version of King’s greatest song." Billboard also cited the pairings of Miguel and Kacey Musgraves on Crying in the Rain and Jakob Dylan and Louise Goffin's Goin' Back as being other highlights.
Also on hand were the four woman that were the subject of the Academy Award nominated documentary Twenty Feet From Stardom, Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer, Judith Hill and Darlene Love. The four women performed Way Over Yonder from the Tapestry album. Overall, nine of the twelve tracks from that groundbreaking album were performed over the night with only the title song, Smackwater Jack and (amazingly) Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow omitted.
King, herself, closed the night including a duet with James Taylor on a medley of Sweet Seasons and Hey Girl.
The set list:
- Hi-De-Ho - LeAnn Rimes and Steven Tyler
- So Far Away - P!nk
- I Feel the Earth Move - Train
- You've Got a Friend - Lady Gaga
- It's Too Late - Gloria Estefan
- Love Makes the World - will.i.am and Leah McFall
- Beautiful - Jason Mraz, Zac Brown, Sara Bareilles and the Raining Jane
- Way Over Yonder - Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer, Judith Hill and Darlene Love
- Where You Lead - Jesse and Joy
- Crying in the Rain - Miguel and Kacey Musgraves
- (You Make Me Fell Like A) Natural Woman - Alicia Keys
- Goin' Back - Jakob Dylan and Louise Goffin
- Been to Canaan / I'm Into Something Good / It Might As Well Rain Until September / One Fine Day - Amy Grant, Jennifer Nettles, Martina McBride and Miranda Lambert
- Up on the Roof - James Taylor
- Home Again - Carole King
- Sweet Seasons / Hey Girl - James Taylor and Carole King
- Jazzman - Carole King
- I Feel the Earth Move - Everyone