Sales of Lou Reed's Music Soars Worldwide
by Paul Cashmere
Sales of Lou Reed’s music have soared since the death of the iconic singer in New York on the weekend.
Reed’s classic Transformer, featuring his signature tune Walk On The Wild Side, has gone back into the Top 10 in the UK on the iTunes chart and is at 21 in Australia and 30 in the USA.
Walk On The Wild Side has re-entered the Top 100 worldwide and fans are mostly focusing on the songs Perfect Day, Dirty Blvd and Satellite of Love as individual downloads.
The 1967 album The Velvet Underground & Nico, featuring the famous Andy Warhol designed banana cover, is the most popular of The Velvet Underground releases.
Chart figures for Lou Reed in the USA, UK and Australia are:
- Transformer - 21
- The Very Best of Lou Reed - 36
- New York - 84
- The Velvet Underground & Nico - 92
- Walk On The Wild Side - 81
- Perfect Day - 131
- Dirty Blvd. - 200
- Transformer - 30
- The Essential Lou Reed - 31
- The Velvet Underground & Nico - 36
- Rock and Roll Animal - 59
- New York - 87
- Berlin - 176
- Walk On The Wide Side - 50
- Perfect Day - 156.
- Transformer - 10
- The Very Best of Lou Reed - 44
- The Velvet Underground & Nico - 70
- New York - 100
- Walk On The Wild Side - 48
- Perfect Day - 59
- Satellite of Love - 196