Five giants of guitar, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer, Leslie West (Mountain) and Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown) will be touring together this summer in the Rock'n'Blues Fest.
The summer tour begins on July 29 in Tacoma, WA and runs through the end of August.
Edgar Winter wrote at length about the collaboration:
This year's Hippiefest tour is truly a 'Rock'n'Blues Fest' -- a landmark, historic, musical celebration of which my band and I are proud to be a part. It's going to be a Guitar Guru Gala of Gargantuan proportions. For me personally, it will simply be the Greatest!The dates (with more to be announced):
This tour will reunite all the people I most love and grew up playing with. Of course, my brother, Johnny Winter, will be there -- along with Rick Derringer, who played in both my bands White Trash and The Edgar Winter Group. Also appearing will be Leslie West, another long-time friend and great guitar hero we all have had the pleasure of knowing and performing with over the years.
And as if that weren't enough, I certainly want to mention my present guitarist, Doug Rappoport. Though perhaps not as well known, Doug has been with my band well over ten years (the longest in my musical history), and has developed into a phenomenal player. He exhibits incredible energy, soaring soul, and dazzling technique. I guarantee all you guitar aficionados will be awed and amazed.
Of course, Johnny, Rick, and Leslie are guitar legends of the first order. Rick is one of the most complete and versatile guitarists I have ever had the opportunity to work with -- a great singer, songwriter, and artist. And what can you say about Johnny? He is the Chairman of the Board! In my estimation, Johnny is the most knowledgeable and authentic traditional slide and blues guitarist still living today.
So, what can you expect from the Edgar Winter Band on the Rock'n'Blues Fest? Well, we'll be doing 'Tobacco Road,' the traditional blues song I originally popularized with my brother, Johnny. It is climaxed with the long primal scream, followed by the vocal/guitar duel (performed with Doug Rappoport). And, of course, we will do our biggest hits, the ever-popular 'Free Ride,' and the indestructible monster, 'Frankenstein'!
I want to thank all the fans who have followed and supported my career (as well as Johnny's and Rick's) over all these years. It means the world to me to be able to do what I most truly love, and see you all out there -- still rockin', and having a good time. And as they say... the rest is Rock'n'Roll history.
So, see you at one of the dates on the tour. Believe me, this is not one you want to miss. All I can say is ... Get Ready To Rock'n'Roll!!!
- 07/29 - Tacoma, WA - Pantages Theater (without Leslie West)
- 08/01 - Saratoga, CA - The Winery
- 08/03 - Mammoth Lakes, CA - Sam's Woodsite
- 08/04 - Anaheim, CA - The Grove
- 08/05 - Las Vegas, NV - The Palms Concert Theatre
- 08/09 - Cohasset, MA - South Shore Music Circus
- 08/10 - Newport, RI - Newport Yachting Center
- 08/11 - Sunbury, PA - Spy Class Ridge Winery
- 08/12 - Westchester, NY - County Center
- 08/14 - Bergen, NJ - Bergen Performing Arts Center
- 08/15 - Glenside, PA - Keswick Theatre
- 08/16 - Morristown, NJ - Mayo Performing Arts Center
- 08/17 - Hyannis, MA - Cape Cod Melody Tent
- 08/18 - Westbury, NY - NYCB Theatre
- 08/19 - Bushkill, PA - Mount Laurel Performing Arts Center
- 08/21 - Red Bank, NJ - Count Basie Theatre
- 08/24 - Daytona Beach, FL - The Peabody Auditorium
- 08/29 - Kettering, OH - Fraze Pavilion
- 08/30 - Clarkston, MI - DTE Energy Music Theatre
- 08/31 - Chicago, IL - Country Club Hills Theatre