Prince was honored on Thursday night at Carnegie Hall in New York with the annual benefit for music education put on by Michael Dorf of City Winery. The show benefits such schools as the Church Street School of Music, the American Symphony Orchestra’s Music Notes, the Center for Arts Education and Little Kids Rock.
Once again, the Roots were the house band for the night and a long list of artists, including veterans such as Booker T. Jones, the Blind Boys of Alabama, Bettye LaVette and Elvis Costello, covered the honorees songs.
Of course, Prince being Prince, he didn't show up for his own tribute, but a number of artists who were associated with him throughout his long career did perform including Wendy Melvoin of Wendy & Lisa and former members of the Family performing under the name Fdeluxe.
The set list:
- Purple Rain - The Waterboys
- Ten / I Wonder U - The Roots and Eric Leeds
- Raspberry Beret - Booker T. Jones, with choir and Diane Birch
- Nothing Compares 2 You - Nina Perrson
- High Fashion / Mutiny - Fdeluxe (The Family)
- Little Red Corvette - Sandra Bernhard
- Mountains - Devotchka
- When Doves Cry - Bhi Bhiman
- The Beautiful Ones - Kat Edmonson
- The Cross - The Blind Boys of Alabama
- Pop Life - Citizen Cope and Alice Smith
- Annie Christian - Talib Kweli
- Sister - Bilal
- Kiss - Bettye LaVette
- Darling Nikki - Princess
- Moonbeam Levels - Elvis Costello
- It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night - D’Angelo
- 1999 - Ensemble