- 1892 - Eddie Cantor (d. 1964)
- 1906 - Roosevelt Sykes (d. 1983)
- 1915 - Alan Lomax (d. 2002)
- 1921 - Mario Lanza (d. 1959)
- 1928 - Chuck Willis (d. 1958)
- 1932 - Rick Hall (producer, owner of FAME Studios) (81)
- 1932 - Ottilie Patterson (Chris Barber's Jazz Band) (d. 2011)
- 1934 - Bobby Lee Trammell (d. 2008)
- 1936 - Marvin Junior (Dells) (77)
- 1937 - Philip Glass (76)
- 1944 - Charlie Musselwhite (69)
- 1946 - Terry Kath (Chicago) (d. 1978)
- 1951 - Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music) (62)
- 1951 - Henry Wayne Casey (K.C. & the Sunshine Band) (62)
- 1952 - Curly Smith (Jo Jo Gunne) (61)
- 1954 - Adrian Vandenberg (Whitesnake) (59)
- 1956 - John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) (Sex Pistols, Public Image Ltd.) (57)
- 1958 - Tom Schuman (Spyro Gyra) (55)
- 1961 - Lloyd Cole (Lloyd Cole & the Commotions) (52)
- 1963 - Scott Ian (born Scott Rosenfeld) (Anthrax) (50)
- 1964 - Jeff Hanneman (Slayer) (49)
- 1966 - Al Doughty (born Alan Jaworski) (Jesus Jones) (47)
- 1967 - Chad Channing (Nirvana) (46)
- 1967 - Jason Cooper (Cure) (46)
- 1967 - Fat Mike (born Michael Burkett) (NOFX, Me First & the Gimme Gimmies) (46)
- 1981 - Justin Timberlake (32)
- 1987 - Marcus Mumford (Muford & Sons) (26)
- 1970 - Slim Harpo (born James Moore) - Heart attack (46)
- 1978 - Greg Herbert (Blood, Sweat & Tears) - Accidental drug overdose (30)
- 1985 - Barbara Cowsill (Cowsills) - Emphysema (56)
On This Day
- 1957 - Decca Records in the U.K. said that Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley & the Comets had sold a million copies in the U.K., mostly on 78's.
- 1969 - Bobby Darin walked off of The Jackie Gleason Show when they would not allow him to perform the song Long Line Rider.
- 1970 - The Grateful Dead are arrested for possession of LSD and barbiturates in New Orleans.
- 1970 - Creedence Clearwater filmed a television special.
- 1972 - Aretha Franklin sang at Mahalia Jackson's funeral.
- 1979 - The Clash opened their first U.S. tour. Bo Diddley was the opener.
|Clash (1/31/79): Joe Strummer, Topper Headon, Paul Simonon, Mick Jones|
- 1988 - Herb Alpert played the National Anthem at Super Bowl XXXIII.
- 1998 - The Presidents of the United States of America played their final show in Seattle, WA.
- 1999 - Reba McEntire closed her first European tour with a sold-out performance in Munich.
- 1999 - Cher sang the National Anthem at Super Bowl XXII.
- 2000 - Jay-Z was indicted on two assault charges from a December 1 stabbing of a record executive.
- 2000 - The Strokes played in the U.K. next time in Portsmouth.
- 2001 - It was announced Peter Criss would be leaving Kiss, to be replaced by Eric Singer.
- 2002 - Koko Taylor is released from the hospital after undergoing an angioplasty.
- 2008 - Britney Spears was taken to the hospital for a mental health evaluation.
- 1931 - T.B. Blues, Travellin' Blues & Jimmie The Kid - Jimmie Rodgers
- 1949 - Kitty West recorded for the first time for RCA Victor.
- 1963 - Surfin' U.S.A. & Shutdown - Beach Boys
- 1961 - Bobby Darin & Friends (NBC) - Jimmy Durante, Bob Hope, Joanie Sommers
- 1978 - The Old Grey Whistle Test (U.K.) - Talking Heads (British TV debut)