Top Ten Holiday Songs For 2012
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) has announced the list, noting that the entire top ten are songs whose composers are represented by the organization. It's president and chairman, songwriter Paul Williams, noted "Music is one of the most important and defining aspects of the holiday season. Favorites like Sleigh Ride and Winter Wonderland help to set the mood and brighten spirits each and every year. It's no surprise that these beloved tunes have all been written by ASCAP members, America's greatest songwriters and composers. These works serve as a cornerstone of the ASCAP repertory."
As those who listen to holiday radio probably already know, Sleigh Ride is the most played song once again. There seems to be an unending list of artists who have recorded the song from the new version by fun. to the classic take by Johnny Mathis, but it is still the original instrumental recording by LeRoy Anderson that has the most plays.
Winter Wonderland is second with the most popular version coming from the Eurythmics while Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! is third with the most plays by Harry Connick, Jr. Don't be surprised, though, if the Rod Stewart version of the song takes the prize the next time the list is compiled as it is the current number 1 Adult Contemporary song.
In addition, for the first time in four years, Santa Claus is Coming to Town has made the top ten.
Here are the top ten Christmas songs for the year (measured from October 1 to December 3) with the composers and the most popular version.
- Sleigh Ride - Written by Leroy Anderson, Mitchell Parish (Leroy Anderson)
- Winter Wonderland - Written by Felix Bernard, Richard B. Smith (Eurythmics)
- Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! - Written by Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne (Harry Connick Jr.)
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Written by Ralph Blane, Hugh Martin (Carpenters)
- Santa Claus Is Coming to Town - Written by Fred Coots, Haven Gillespie (Bruce Springsteen)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? - Written by Gloria Shayne Baker, Noël Regney (Whitney Houston)
- The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) - Written by Mel Tormé, Robert Wells (Nat King Cole)
- Jingle Bell Rock - Written by Joseph Carleton Beal, James Ross Boothe (Bobby Helms)
- Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Written by Johnny Marks (Brenda Lee)
- It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas - Written by Meredith Willson (Bing Crosby)