Artist: Various Artists
Title: Son of Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys
Release Date: February 19, 2013
Label: Anti Records
Format(s): CD, DD
Johnny Depp and Gore Verbanski have recruited the likes of Keith Richards, Tom Waits, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop and Nick Cave for the second of their compilations of sea songs.
Son of Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys, a collection of sea chanteys, will be released on Tom Waits Anti Records label in February.
The album features Depp and Verbinski with Shane MacGowan of The Pogues on the lead song Leaving Of Liverpool. Depp also joins Patti Smith for The Mermaid.
Johnny Depp isn’t the only big screen star to feature on the album. Angelica Houston performs Missus McGraw with the Weisberg Strings.
Other artists include Sean Lennon, Beth Orton, Michael Stipe & Courtney Love, Todd Rundgren and Macy Gray.
Keith Richards performs Shenandoah with Tom Waits for the album.
The album is the sequel to Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys from 2006 from producer Hal Willner. Willner came up with the idea for Rogue’s Gallery compilations with actor Depp and director Verbinski while on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (second installment in the movie saga). Of the new compilation, Willner notes, “About a year ago I secretly thought we would never finish. As easy as volume 1 was to coordinate, this was the opposite, but it is a very different record than volume 1. This one seems…happier? Not as much about torture, sodomy and death, which will disappoint some but, we don’t need to repeat ourselves do we?”.
- Leaving of Liverpool (Shane MacGowan w/Johnny Depp & Gore Verbinski)
- Sam’s Gone Away (Robyn Hitchcock)
- River Come Down (Beth Orton)
- Row Bullies Row (Sean Lennon w/Jack Shit)
- Shenandoah (Tom Waits w/Keith Richards)
- Mr. Stormalong (Ivan Neville)
- Asshole Rules the Navy (Iggy Pop w/A Hawk and a Hacksaw)
- Off to Sea Once More (Macy Gray)
- The Ol’ OG (Ed Harcourt)
- Pirate Jenny (Shilpa Ray w/Nick Cave & Warren Ellis)
- The Mermaid (Patti Smith & Johnny Depp)
- Anthem for Old Souls (Chuck E. Weiss)
- Orange Claw Hammer (Ed Pastorini)
- Sweet and Low (The Americans)
- Ye Mariners All (Robin Holcomb & Jessica Kenny)
- Tom’s Gone to Hilo (Gavin Friday and Shannon McNally)
- Bear Away (Kenny Wollesen & The Himalayas Marching Band)
- Handsome Cabin Boy (Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention)
- Rio Grande (Michael Stipe & Courtney Love)
- Ship in Distress (Marc Almond)
- In Lure of the Tropics (Dr. John)
- Rolling Down to Old Maui (Todd Rundgren)
- Jack Tar on Shore (Dan Zanes w/Broken Social Scene)
- Sally Racket (Sissy Bounce (Katey Red & Big Freedia) with Akron/Family)
- Wild Goose (Broken Social Scene)
- Flandyke Shore (Marianne Faithfull w/Kate & Anna McGarrigle)
- The Chantey of Noah and his Ark (Old School Song) (Ricky Jay)
- Whiskey Johnny (Michael Gira)
- Sunshine Life for Me (Petra Haden w/Lenny Pickett)
- Row the Boat Child (Jenni Muldaur)
- General Taylor (Richard Thompson w/Jack Shit)
- Marianne (Tim Robbins w/Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
- Barnacle Bill the Sailor (Kembra Phaler w/Antony/Joseph Arthur/Foetus)
- Missus McGraw (Angelica Huston w/The Weisberg Strings)
- The Dreadnought (Iggy Pop & Elegant Too)
- Then Said the Captain to Me (Two Poems of the Sea) (Mary Margaret O’Hara)