On May 17, they will release their first single in twenty years, Reason to Believe, on iTunes, but you don't have to wait to hear their latest sound. Here is the official video for the song.
Friday, April 30, 2010
On May 17, they will release their first single in twenty years, Reason to Believe, on iTunes, but you don't have to wait to hear their latest sound. Here is the official video for the song.
Release Date: June 22, 2010
Ozzy Osbourne has released the cover art and track listing for his upcoming album, Scream. The album is produced by Osbourne and Kevin Churko who also produced 2007's Black Rain. The majority of the album was recorded at Osbourne's Los Angeles home studio, The Bunker, and the songs written by Osbourne and Churko.
Osbourne's band includes new guitarist Gus G., bassist Blasko, drummer Tony Clufetos and keyboard player Adam Wakeman.
- Let It Die
- Let Me Hear You Scream
- Soul Sucker
- Life Won't Wait
- Diggin’ Me Down
- I Want It More
- Latimer’s Mercy
- I Love You All
Our weekly recap of veteran artists on the current Canadian music charts. Chart highlights:
- AC/DC's soundtrack album for Iron Man 2 debuts at number 2 on the Album and number 1 on the Hard Rock Album charts, giving them the top selling album of the week by a veteran artist.
- Infestation by Ratt starts out at 55 on the Album and 5 on the Hard Rock Album chart.
- Willie Nelson returns to the genre that made him with Country Music, premiering at 56 on the Album and 5 on the Country Album chart.
- Also new on the Country chart is Merle Haggard's I Am What I Am, debuting at 21.
- The Power of Madonna episode of Glee powers up the number 1 album of the week and also reinvigorates Madonna's Celebration album, moving it from 179 to 80.
Top 100 Canadian Albums
- #1 (N) - Glee: The Power of Madonna - Glee Cast
- #2 (N) - Iron Man 2 Soundtrack - AC/DC
- #3 (1) - My World 2.0 - Justin Bieber
- #4 (3) - Need You Now - Lady Anteballum
- #5 (5) - Vretrouvailles - Gilles Vigneault et Artistes
- #23 (8) - Sticky & Sweet Tour - Madonna
- #29 (27) - Recollection - k.d. lang
- #36 (9) - Emotion & Commotion - Jeff Beck
- #50 (30) - Soldier of Love - Sade
- #55 (N) - Infestation - Ratt
- #56 (N) - Country Music - Willie Nelson
- #57 (54) - 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of - ABBA
- #41 (70) - Valleys of Neptune - Jimi Hendrix
- #76 (44) - Cocktail de Douceur - Nicole Martin
- #80 (179) - Celebration - Madonna
- #86 (108) - Pirate Radio Soundtrack - Various Artists
- #90 (111) - Legend: Best of - Bob Marley & the Wailers
- #94 (73) - Scratch My Back - Peter Gabriel
- #97 (93) - Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
Top 100 Canadian Singles (Airplay)
- #1 (1) - Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
- #2 (3) - Whataya Want From Me - Adam Lambert
- #3 (4) - Hey, Soul Sister - Train
- #2 (2) - In My Head - Jason Derulo
- #5 (6) - Break Your Heart - Taio Cruise Featuring Ludacris
- #54 (58) - I Gotta Get to You - George Strait
- #87 (97) - I Keep on Loving You - Reba McEntire
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Tokyo Nightclub Finds Hundreds of Tapes of Rare Performances; Gill, Paisley, Skaggs & Warnier to Kick Off Opry Birthday, more
The owner's of Tokyo's New Latin Quarter night club have uncovered hundreds of hours of performance tapes recorded over the last fifty years by artists such as Nat King Cole, the Supremes, Sammy Davis Jr., Pat Boone, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Ray Charles, B.B. King, Tom Jones and many more. To get the performances out to the public, the owners of the club have established record, documentary and publishing divisions in conjunction with National League Music owned by six-time Grammy winner Jay Warner.
“Over 300 live recordings from artists who appeared at New Latin Quarter have been languishing for almost 50 years,” says Shintaro Yamamoto, Chairman of newly formed New Latin Quarter (NLQ) Entertainment. “The new alliance of NLQ Entertainment, Kosaido Akatsuki Corporation of Japan, Parteneri-Whitehouse Alliance Japan and worldwide publishing organization National League Music has changed all that.”
They are looking toward five releases this year, including The Best of the New Latin Quarter, Jazz & Blues, Volume 1, set for May 15.
Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Ricky Skaggs and Steve Wariner will join forces on May 25 to kick off the Grand Ole Opry 85th Birthday celebration. The four guitarists will play individual sets followed by their joining together to perform some of the Opry's biggest hits.
The Opry will celebrate their milestone throughout the year with plans for up to four nights of shows throughout the summer plus exhibits and other special activities. The big birthday bash will be October 8 and 9.
Delores "Dee" Holmes who sang backup for Bruce Springsteen in the early 70's and 80's, passed away on Friday at the age of 63. Her last performance with Springsteen was on the America: A Tribute to Heroes special in 2001 on My City in Ruins.
The Ventures were awarded the prestigious Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays and Rosette by the Emperor of Japan in recognition of their contribution to the cultural exchange between the United States and Japan. Receiving the award were Don Wilson, Nokie Edwards, Gerry McGee, Bob Spalding and Leon Taylor.
Per the press release from the Japanese Counsel in Seattle:
Since there were no language barriers to overcome, The Ventures’ unique “teke-teke sound” (as it was called in Japanese) grabbed the heart of many Japanese young men and women. These young fans in turn formed groups of their own, thus creating a huge boom of electric guitar sales in the country. The Ventures are still one the most popular American rock groups in Japan. The Ventures significantly influenced the Japanese music scene and contributed to the promotion of friendly relations between the US and Japan in the process.
Samantha Gibb, the daughter of the late Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees, will soon be releasing her first EP with her group the Cartel. Samantha is originally from Miami but how lives in Nashville where her group has gained notoriety in the alternative scene. They will be touring the U.K. in June.
Engelbert Humperdinck was on hand last Saturday as the city of Leicester, England unveiled their own Walk-of-Fame. He was one of nine local celebrities to be in the inaugural class.
Bryan Adams will play the closing ceremonies of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in Johannesburg, South Africa on July 9.
Francis Rossi of Status Quo will be doing a six stop solo tour of the U.K. from May 12 to 18.
Reports from the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival this past weekend said that Art Garfunkel was not hitting a lot of the big notes during the Simon & Garfunkel set, especially on songs like Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Now we know why as the duo have postponed their April and May concerts until July to let Art's voice rest and recover.
The following statement was posted on their website:
The Simon & Garfunkel tour originally scheduled for April - May is being postponed due to a vocal strain recently sustained by Art Garfunkel. In an effort to provide the highest quality performance for their audience, Paul & Art decided it would be best to move the scheduled concert dates. The dates have been rescheduled to allow for an adequate period of rest and rehabilitation, after which Art is expected to make a complete recovery.The new dates for the Old Friends in Concert tour:
Both Paul and Art regret any inconvenience this has caused their fans and are looking forward to seeing them at the rescheduled shows.
- 07/03 - Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place
- 07/05 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome
- 07/06 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
- 07/08 - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre
- 07/09 - Saskatoon, SK - Credit Union Centre
- 07/11 - Fargo, ND - Fargodome
- 07/12 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
- 07/14 - Madison, WI - TBA
- 07/17 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills
- 07/19 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
- 07/21 - Ottawa, ON - Scotiabank Place
- 07/22 - Montreal, QB - Bell Centre
- 07/24 & 25 - Halifax, NS - Metro Centre
- 07/29 - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena
- 07/31 - Atlantic City, NJ - Trump Taj Mahal Etess Arena
MusicRadar is in the midst of their Metal Week and wanted their readers to vote on the greatest metal albums of all time.
Metallica is at the top of the list with Master of Puppets, one of five of their albums to make the top 50. Iron Maiden comes in second with The Number of the Beast (they also have five) and Guns N' Roses are third with Appetite for Destruction.
Metallica and Iron Maiden tie with Black Sabbath for the most albums on the list with five each while Slayer has three.
The top five along with all other albums on the list by veteran artists:
- 01. Master of Puppets - Metallica
- 02. The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
- 03. Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses
- 04. Ride the Lightning - Metallica
- 05. Reign in Blood - Slayer
- 06. Rust in Peace - Megadeth
- 07. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
- 08. Back in Black - AC/DC
- 09. Vulgar Display of Power - Pantera
- 10. Powerslave - Iron Maiden
- 11. ...And Justice for All - Metallica
- 13. Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
- 15. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
- 16. Master of Reality - Black Sabbath
- 17. Highway to Hell - AC/DC
- 18. British Steel - Judas Priest
- 19. Blizzard of Oz - Ozzy Osbourne
- 20. Seasons in the Abyss - Slayer
- 22. Live After Death - Iron Maiden
- 23. Kill 'Em All - Metallica
- 24. Vol 4 - Black Sabbath
- 25. South of Heaven - Slayer
- 27. Holy Diver - Dio
- 30. Metallica - Metallica
- 32, Piece of Mind - Iron Maiden
- 34. Live in Munich 1977 - Rainbow
- 36. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
- 37. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
- 38. To Mega Therion - Celtic Frost
- 42. Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? - Megadeth
- 43. Among the Living - Anthrax
- 44. Painkiller - Judas Priest
- 49. Rocks - Aerosmith
Carlos Santana and the Santana Band will be taking to the road this summer with their Universal Tone Tour 2010 with special guest Steve Winwood. The tour kicks off on June 30 in St. Paul, MN and runs through August 1.
Santana will be playing many of their hits from over their four-decade career along with tracks from an upcoming album. Winwood will be supporting his Revolution: The Very Best of Steve Winwood multi-disc career retrospective.
The tour dates:
- 06/30 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
- 07/01 - Milwaukee, WI - Summerfest
- 07/03 - Sioux City, IA - Saturday in the Park Free Festival
- 07/04 - Kansas City, MO - Starlight Theatre
- 07/06 - Cincinnati, OH - Riverbend Music Center
- 07/07 - Indianapolis, IN - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
- 07/09 - Tinley Park, IL - Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
- 07/10 - Clarkston, MI - DTE Energy Music Theatre
- 07/11 - Toronto, ON - Molson Amphitheatre
- 07/14 - Ottawa, ON - The LeBreton Flats
- 07/15 - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
- 07/17 - Bethel, NY - Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
- 07/18 - Wantagh, NY - Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
- 07/20 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
- 07/21 - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun
- 07/23 - Mansfield, MA - Comcast Center
- 07/25 - Bristow, VA - Jiffy Lube Live
- 07/27 - Virginia Beach, VA - Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheatre
- 07/28 - Charlotte, NC - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
- 07/29 - Atlanta, GA - Chastain Park Amphitheatre
- 07/31 - Tampa, FL - Ford Amphitheatre
- 08/01 - West Palm Beach, FL - Cruzan Amphitheater
- 09/29 - Dublin,Ireland - O2
- 10/01 - London,UK - O2
- 10/02 - Manchester, UK - MEN Arena
- 10/03 - Newcastle, UK - Newcastle Arena
- 10/06 - Antwerp, BE - Sportspaleis
- 10/07 - Oberhausen, DE - Kopi Arena
- 10/09 - Zurich, CH - Hallenstadion
- 10/13 - Mannheim, DE - SAP ARena
- 10/16 - Berline, DE - O2
- 10/17 - Munich, Germany - Olympiahalle
- 10/20 - Friedrichshafen, DE - Rothaus Arena
- 10/23 - Hamburg, DE - Colorline Arena
Title: Still Here
Release Date: May 4, 2010
The Temptations are now in their 49th year of existence and, to celebrate, are releasing their 49th album, Still Here. It's their first release of new recordings since 2007's Back to Front.
Executive produced by original Temptation Otis Williams, who also produced several tracks on the album, Still Here features Listen Up, a new millennium version of Ball Of Confusion; Soul Music, which pays homage to the sounds from back in the day; and Shawtyismygirlooyeah, a modern update of My Girl, the Temptations' first #1 hit in 1965.Track List:
Still Here also includes Change Has Come, an energetic tribute to the election of President Barack Obama with a rousing performance by lead singer "Big" Bruce Williamson. Among the several slow jams are the beautiful ballad Hold Me, featuring Terry Weeks (member since 1997), and Woman, featuring tenor Ron Tyson (member since 1983), who also simmers on the mid-tempo Warm Summer Nights and shines on the nostalgic Going Back Home.
- Still Here (Prelude)
- Change Has Come
- One of a Kind Lady
- Let Me Catch Your Diamonds
- Hold Me
- Warm Summer Nights
- First Kiss
- Still Here With Me
- Soul Music
- Listen Up/We Sing For the People (Segue)
- Going Back Home
- Still Here (Reprise)
On Wednesday, Peter Gabriel released the fourth digital 45 from his Scratch My Back...I'll Scratch Yours series, this time pairing his version of Lou Reed's The Power of the Heart with Reed's version of Peter's Solsbury Hill.
Unfortunately with this month's video, they were not able to get Lou Reed before the camera so it is strictly about the Gabriel recording. Reed did say on Peter's website "I tried to keep an open mind for this wonderful song I wanted to own it and redo it's essence. I picked the version I and everyone else knows. I think Peter has tried to strike a balance between the demands of the marketplace and his desire for uniqueness. And intelligence. He has quite an arrangement in the Ezrin produced version. I choose to single out one desire and concentrate on that. The desire for a home.
"Peter's version of my song is overwhelmingly beautiful and I thank him for including me on this soulful journey through the heart. He has never sung more beautifully. This is a landmark album."
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Bret Michaels is stable, serious or critical depending on where you are getting your information. What is known is that he has had another complication, developing hyponatremia which is a lack of sodium in the body. Hyponatremia causes convulsions although there is no confirmation that he has actually suffered any.
Recent tests have also shown that Michaels suffered a stroke that caused bleeding in the fluid-filled spaces at the base of the brain. Doctors are hopeful that his condition will improve as the body absorbs the blood around his brain.
Bret's father told TV's Extra "He sounded a little slow, but fine. He was talking, not as cheerful as he usually is but I guess he is under sedation. They say he's moving his arms and hands. The best as they could expect at this time."
Angela Bofill has been laid up since suffering strokes in 2006 and 2007. Soul Tracks passed the latest along today, saying that she will be participating in a short tour called The Angela Bofill Experience which will include film clips of the singer's performances, Bofill on stage narrating and telling anecdotes and performances of some of her songs by singer Maysa.
The show will play the Razz Room in San Francisco from July 22 to 25 and Detroit on July 28.
AC/DC's Brian Johnson is writing a couple of songs for the indie film Doonby which stars John Schneider, Robert Davi, Ernie Hudson and Jennifer O'Neill.
Chicago folk great Steve Goodman may have a Chicago post office named after him. Goodman, who wrote City of New Orleans and was one of the most entertaining folksingers ever, passed away in 1984 at the age of 36 after a 15-year battle with leukemia.
The U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 4861 introduced by Rep. Mark Quigley (D-IL) on Monday which would change the name of the Lakeshore Post Office in Chicago. The bill now goes to the U.S. Senate.
Rosie Flores broke her arm last week and, like many Americans and especially musicians, she has no medical insurance so close friends are trying to raise money for her care and possible operation. Meanwhile Flores posted the following on her website:
Goodness gracious, it's true! i fell onto my shoulder and hit a rocky tile floor and broke my left humerous bone in two!
I'm having a difficult time getting around but have so much gratitude towards my friends who are rising to the cause. I won't be able to play my guitars for a while but will keep my tour schedule with an added guitarist to be named in a few weeks beginning in May. I think getting out there and singing will be the best medicine. Meanwhile, my doctor will be keeping an eye on this ol arm in hopes of not having to do surgery. Thanks for your contributions and or prayers. love, Rosie
AC/DC will not duplicate their feet from the U.K. and top the charts with the Iron Man 2 soundtrack in the U.S. Hits Daily Double estimates sales of about 81,000 for the new release, about 20,000 short of the number 1 album Glee: The Power of Madonna. Look for AC/DC to be at 3 or 4.
Jimmy Buffett will move an estimated 31,500 copies of his Wal-Mart exclusive album Encores which will be good for number 7. In other veteran premiers, Willie Nelson sold an estimated 20,000 copies of Country Music and should come in at around 19 and Ratt moved about 10 to 11,000 copies of Infestation for a start in the high 40's.
Artist: John Mellencamp
Title: On the Rural Route 7609
Release Date: June 15, 2010
John Mellencamp's long promised box set, On the Rural Route 7609, will finally see the light of day on June 15 and it is very different from the majority of boxes on the market. Mellencamp has sequenced the four-CDs as if they were four separate albums pertaining to different themes and styles and he has mixed well known tracks with lesser known ones from throughout his career.
Seventeen of the 54 tracks on the album have never been released before, including readings of his lyrics by the likes of Joanne Woodward and Dr. Cornel West. The package includes a 72-page booklet with essays and comprehensive track-by-track annotations by Anthony DeCurtis.
From the press release:
The title of the package is reflective of Mellencamp’s continuing role as a troubadour who conveys the hopes, heartbreak and realities of the heartland – that part of the country that politicians are wont to call “the real America,” a divisive jab that is at odds with Mellencamp’s true themes. Per DeCurtis, “..the set takes its title from a scarifying murder ballad on Freedom’s Road, ‘Rural Route.’"
Mellencamp explained to DeCurtis “I started making records in ’76, and the most recent track on the collection was done in ‘09. So Rural Route 7609; it’s like an address. I thought it sounded cool.”
Adds DeCurtis, “It does. But, more important, for anyone interested in finding the real John Mellencamp, this is where he’s been, and where he lives.” On The Rural Route 7609 is a musical journey that sheds new light on an American musician who, as both a songwriter and social activist, has never rested on his laurels or past accomplishments.
- Longest Days
- Grandma’s Theme
- Rural Route
- Jackie Brown
- Rain On The Scarecrow
- Jim Crow with Cornell West (Never previously released)
- Jim Crow
- Big Daddy Of Them All
- Deep Blue Heart
- Don’t Need This Body
- Jenny At 16 (Never previously released)
- Jack And Diane (Writing Demo - Never previously released)
- Jack And Diane
- The Real Life with Joanne Woodward (Never previously released)
- Ghost Towns Along The Highway
- The Full Catastrophe
- Authority Song (Writing Demo - Never previously released)
- Troubled Land
- To Washington
- Our Country (Alternate Version - Never previously released)
- Country Gentlemen
- Freedom’s Road
- Mr. Bellows (Remix - Never previously released)
- Rodeo Clown
- Love And Happiness
- Pink Houses
- If I Die Sudden (Live)
- Between A Laugh And A Tear
- Void In My Heart (Acoustic version recorded at Chess Studios - Never previously released)
- Death Letter
- Sugar Marie (Acoustic - Never previously released)
- Theo And Weird Henry
- When Jesus Left Birmingham
- L.U.V. (Remix - Never previously released)
- Thank You
- Women Seem
- The World Don’t Bother Me None (Never previously released)
- Cherry Bomb (Writing Demo - Never previously released)
- Someday The Rains Will Fall (Never previously released)
- A Ride Back Home
- My Aeroplane
- Colored Lights (Never previously released)
- Just Like You
- Young Without Lovers
- To M.G. (Wherever She May Be) (Acoustic - Never previously released)
- Sweet Evening Breeze
- What If I Came Knocking
- County Fair
- Peaceful World (Writing Demo - Never previously released)
- Your Life Is Now
- For The Children
- Rural Route (Acoustic - Never previously released)
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
The Go-Go's have announced they will be putting the beat behind them after one last tour. Happily Ever After - The Farewell Tour kicks off with a Lilith Fair appearance on July 7 and ends in Austin, Texas on July 27. Included will be a summer concert appearance on the July 16 edition of Good Morning America.
The group first formed in 1978 as the Misfits. The current lineup of Belinda Carlisle, Jane Wiedlin, Charlotte Caffey (all original members), Gina Schock (joined in 1979) and Kathy Valentine (joined in 1980) were underground favorites in clubs before finally landing a record contract in 1981. Beauty in the Beat and the singles Our Lips Are Sealed and We Got the Beat became radio and early-MTV staples that year and they followed with the albums Vacation and Talk Show.
The group broke up the first time in 1985 with Carlisle going on to a successful solo career and Wiedlin scoring occasional airplay. They reunited briefly in 1990 and again in 1994, recording three new songs for a greatest hits set which led to an on-again/off-again commitment to staying together as a group. Their last album of original material was 2001's God Bless the Go-Go's.
The tour dates:
- 07/07 - San Diego, CA - Lilith Fair
- 07/08 - Phoenix, AZ - Lilith Fair
- 07/10 - Tampa, FL - Tampa Bay Rays
- 07/11 - Myrtle Beach, SC - House of Blues
- 07/14 - Portsmouth, VA - NTELOS Pavilion
- 07/15 - Morristown, NJ - Mayo Center for the Arts
- 07/16 - New York, NY - Good Morning America
- 07/17 - Atlantic City, NJ - House of Blues
- 07/19 - Vienna, VA - Wolf Trap
- 07/20 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza
- 07/22 - San Francisco, CA - Fillmore
- 07/24 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theatre
- 07/26 - Dallas, TX - Granada Theater
- 07/27 - Austin, TX - Paramount Theater
Hodgson Speaks Out on Supertramp Tour, Slayer & Megadeth to Play 1990 Albums On Their American Carnage Tour, more
Australia's Undercover.com.au spoke exclusively with Roger Hodgson on the impending tour of Supertramp fronted by Rick Davies, who will be playing Hodgson's songs that he wrote for the group despite a verbal agreement between the two musicians. Hodgson told Undercover:
"To tell the truth if Rick was going out as Supertramp and just doing his music I’d be incredibly happy. I am a big fan of Rick’s and it is great to see him get off the couch but it is the way it has come down and the way he is advertising the tour that is not right.It's a great interview with a lot of insight into the issues behind the controversy. Read it over at Undercover's site.
"What I don’t feel good about is about him breaking an agreement that we had. To tell you the truth Paul & I would never have handed over Supertramp, I am not that much of a fool, to just hand over something I had put 14 years of my life into to Rick for nothing. I really was the driving force in that band for 14 years. I remember very clearly the only thing I cared about when I gave Rick the name was that I would leave with my songs and my voice in tact. That would be my security. For him, his security would be the name, obviously."
Slayer and Megadeth are on the road together this summer on the American Carnage Tour and have announced they will each perform their 1990 albums Seasons in the Abyss and Rust in Peace in their entirety during their respective sets.
Seasons in the Abyss peaked at number 40 on the Billboard Album chart while Rust in Peace went to number 23. Both are considered landmarks of early-90's metal.
Be on the lookout sometime in the next couple weeks for the announcement of the Ozzy Osbourne biopic. She told Zap2It.com "There's about to be a big announcement. It's been picked up and it's going into production. We're going to make a press announcement hopefully within the next two weeks ... we have a producer and we have lots of money and we're all starting."
Patti Smith welcomed members of R.E.M. to the stage when she played at Tipitina's in New Orleans Saturday night. Peter Buck first came on stage to play a cover of the Seeds Pushin' Too Hard and later returned with Scott McCaughey and Michael Stipe for Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman (Stipe read the lyrics from an iPhone). All then backed up Smith on People Got the Power.
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts will be opening for Green Day on their European tour from June 2 to June 23.
Wynonna Judd's next release will be an exclusive to Cracker Barrel restaurants. Proceeds from Love Heals will be for the benefit of the Wounded Warrior Project which provides retreats for the families of wounded service men and women to allow them to rejuvenate and connect with other caregivers.
The album will be made up of Wynonna's greatest hits along with three previously unreleased tracks.
Our weekly recap of veteran artists on the current British music charts. Chart highlights:
- It's a great week for veteran artists on the British charts as three albums debut in the top four. At the top is AC/DC's soundtrack to the movie Iron Man 2. This is as close to a greatest hits album as the fans may ever see.
- At number 2 is Paul Weller's new album Wake Up the Nation. The album went up against the AC/DC / Iron Man juggernaut which kept it from equaling the number one debut of his last album, 22 Dreams.
- Meat Loaf premiers at number 4 with his new studio album Hang Cool Teddy Bear. Like Weller, that falls one short of the premier of his last studio album, 2006's Bat Out of Hell 3: The Monster is Loose.
- At number 35 is the debut of Tony Bennett's Sings the Ultimate American Songbook 1. That's well short of his 2006 album Duets: An American Classic which started at 15.
- AC/DC is also doing well elsewhere on the British charts with their Highway to Hell jumping from 142 to 55 on the regular Album chart. On the Rock & Metal Albums chart, they currently hold 11 of the top 40 positions.
- Tina Turner jumps onto the top 100 Singles chart at number 9 with The Best while the old Gerry & the Pacemakers hit, You Never Walk Alone, premiers at 33. These are both reentries with the Turner song originally going to number 5 in 1989 and the Gerry & the Pacemakers track hit number 1 in 1963.
- Merle Haggard debuts at number 4 on the Country Album chart, but it's not enough to dethrone Johnny Cash from the highest charting veteran artist.
Top 100 British Albums
- #1 (N) - Iron Man 2 Soundtrack - AC/DC
- #2 (N) - Wake Up the Nation - Paul Weller
- #3 (1) - The Defamation of Strickland Banks - Plan B
- #4 (N) - Hang Cool Teddy Bear - Meat Loaf
- #5 (2) - Everybody Wants to Be On TV - Scouting for Girls
- #11 (10) - Very Best of - Free & Bad Company
- #35 (N) - Sings the Ultimate American Songbook 1 - Tony Bennett
- #43 (21) - Emotion & Commotion - Jeff Beck
- #49 (38) - Ultimate Collection - Whitney Houston
- #55 (142) - Highway to Hell - AC/DC
- #57 (53) - The Very Best of - Fleetwood Mac
- #63 (121) - Number Ones - Michael Jackson
- #67 (92) - Hit Parade - Paul Weller
- #71 (74) - Piece of the Action: The Best of - Meat Loaf
- #74 (67) - Some Guys Have All the Luck - Rod Stewart
- #80 (46) - Leave Your Sleep - Natalie Merchant
- #81 (86) - Absolute Greatest - Queen
- #86 (83) - Greatest Hits - Simon & Garfunkel
- #89 (85) - Gold: Greatest Hits - ABBA
- #93 (91) - Celebration - Madonna
- #99 (148) - Then and Now - Who
- #100 (127) - Cross Road - Bon Jovi
Top 100 British Singles
- #1 (N) - Once - Diane Vickers
- #2 (1) - OMG - Usher Featuring will.i.am
- #3 (N) - Until You Were Gone - Chipmunk Featuring Esmee Denters
- #4 (4) - She Said - Plan B
- #5 (2) - This Ain't A Love Song - Scouting For Girls
- #9 (N) - The Best - Tina Turner
- #33 (N) - You'll Never Walk Alone - Gerry & the Pacemakers
- #42 (39) - Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
- #67 (26) - No Tears to Cry / Wake Up the Nation - Paul Weller
Artist: Cyndi Lauper
Title: Downtown Blues
Release Date: June 22, 2010
Label: Downtown Records
Cyndi Lauper's 11th studio album continues her series of theme releases after Feels Like Christmas (Holiday), At Last (Pop Standards), The Body Acoustic (Acoustic Remakes) and Bring Ya To the Brink (Dance). This time, Cyndi takes on the blues and she's doing it with the help of some great names from the genre including B.B. King, Allen Toussaint, Charlie Musselwhite, Ann Peebles and Jonny Lang.
“This is the album I’ve wanted to make for years,” said Lauper. “All of these beautiful songs, and all of the great players on the album, were carefully chosen because I’ve admired them my entire life. And I knew from the moment Alan Toussaint hit the keys in Shattered Dreams that we were creating something really special.”
Memphis Blues session players include Stax veterans Lester Snell and Skip Pitts, and Hi Rhythm Section alums Leroy Hodges and Howard Grimes, studio careerists who cut their teeth recording with the likes of Isaac Hayes and Al Green. Along with the punctuating blasts provided by trumpeter Marc Franklin, baritone saxophonist Kirk Smother, and tenor saxman Derrick Williams, they provided a steadfast foundation for Lauper’s impeccable vocals.
- Just Your Fool (feat. Charlie Musselwhite)
- Shattered Dreams (feat. Allen Toussaint)
- Early In The Mornin' (Featuring Allen Toussaint and B.B. King)
- Romance In The Dark
- How Blue Can You Get? (Featuring Jonny Lang)
- Down Don't Bother Me (Featuring Charlie Musselwhite)
- Don't Cry No More
- Rollin' and Tumblin' (feat. Kenny Brown and Ann Peebles)
- Down So Low
- Mother Earth (Featuring Allen Toussaint)
- Crossroads (Featuring Jonny Lang)
- Wild Woman Don't Get the Blues
Monday, April 26, 2010
It may be time for Whitney Houston to step back from touring and try to rehabilitate whatever needs rehabilitating. Without going all tabloid, that might just be the need to rest her voice for some length of time and then go through vocal coaching to try and bring it back to its formal glory.
The sad state of affair with Houston's voice was abundantly clear at Sunday night's performance at the O2 Arena in London. On her trademark version of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, she was off-key, straining for anything above an alto and totally missed that glorious big note towards the end.
At the end of the song, she tried to toss it off, saying "Sometimes the old girl says, 'Not tonight. I'm not doing it.' I want to do it, but she doesn't want to. I've had long talks with her about it. Tonight she's feeling a little peckish. Temperamental, even."
The following is a crowd shot video of the second half of the song and Houston's statements. It is mainly for audio purposes as the video is of the back of someone's head.
The reviewers put the entire show in perspective with headlines like "Bloated, bedraggled and out of tune: Whitney Houston disappoints London on the latest leg of her troubled world tour" (Mail Online) and "A horrible and heartbreaking evening with Whitney Houston" (London Evening Standard).
Where once she soared, now she wheezes and croaks, bludgeoning her perfect pop single I Wanna Dance (With Somebody Who Loves Me) into karaoke submission; stripping the moving My Love Is Your Love of all emotion and inflicting grisly carnage on I Will Always Love You (if she is late-period Judy Garland, this is her Over The Rainbow).
The nadir of nadirs came during A Song For You which collapsed halfway through into a rambling, nonsensical discourse (one of many) on Michael Jackson (“I called him... Michael and he called me... Whitney“).
--- John Aizlewood, London Evening Standard
...thousands of fans, who had paid at least £85 admission, began to leave during I Will Always Love You. Houston, who has struggled with drug problems and the breakdown of her marriage to Bobby Brown, sang just one or two verses of hits such as Greatest Love Of All.Houston plays the venue again the next two nights.
Her backing singers were left to handle tough notes and she paused to catch her breath during songs, sometimes panting heavily between tracks. Her face appeared bloated and her sequined top struggled to fasten at her waist.
--- Alistair Forester, London Evening Standard
Cher finished her Farewell Tour and then took on a long-term contract with Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. One might assume that, once that contract was done, she would be able to finally retire. Not so as the singer has announced she will be touring again. Cher, 63, has be reinvigorated by new music she has recorded for an upcoming album along with work she did on her new movie Burlesque.
The singer presented last week at the ACM Awards in Las Vegas and plans on unveiling a new single, Already Been There, at the World Music Awards in May.
Britain's NME has announced their picks for the 23 Greatest Lyricists in the World Today, those writers that they feel define 2010. Veteran artists appearing on the list are Nick Cave, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Weller and Morrissey.
Metallica will be re-releasing their sixth album, Load, on vinyl. The release is scheduled for May 18 and will come in two editions, a two-LP gatefold cover and a 4-LP box pressed at 45 R.P.M. for maximum fidelity.
Ace Frehley will be inducting the late Les Paul into the New Jersey Hall of Fame on Sunday, May 2. The ceremony will be held at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark.
Maureen McGovern has been given an award for Best Solo Performance by the Independent Reviewers of New England (IRNE) for her show A Long and Winding Road.
Jay Graydon, writer of such hits as After the Love Has Gone (Earth, Wind & Fire) and Turn Your Love Around (George Benson), and Randy Goodrum, whose catalog includes Bluer Than Blue (Michael Johnson), You Needed Me (Anne Murray), I'll Be Over You (Toto) and Oh Sherrie (Steve Perry) are working on their second album together under the name JaR.
The following is a video for the song Scene 29 from their first collaboration.
New reports from more reliable sources are pointing to a still critical situation with singer Bret Michaels after suffering a brain hemorrhage late last week. From the statement below, we can surmise that doctors were able to alleviate pressure on Michael's brain from built up blood but have not been able to find the source of the bleed. While is conscious, he is currently having trouble with speech and vision.
The following was posted on his official website:
Everyone at Michaels Entertainment would like to thank all fans and friends for their continued thoughts and prayers through this difficult time.
At this point Bret remains in ICU in critical condition. He is under 24 hour doctors care and supervision. We are hopeful that further tests will locate the source of the bleeding, which has still not been located. As we all know Bret is a fighter and we are hopeful that once all is complete the slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness, etc. will be eliminated and all functions will return to normal.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Things remain very quiet in Australia, at least for veteran artists. k.d. lang stays at number 18 with Recollections, giving her a 10th week in a row as the top selling album by a veteran artist.
- #1 (1) - The Fame Monster - Lady Gaga
- #2 (4) - I Dreamed a Dream - Susan Boyle
- #3 (2) - April Uprising - John Butler Trio
- #4 (6) - Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
- #5 (N) - Compass - Mark Vincent
- #18 (18) - Recollection - k.d. lang
- #35 (32) - TCB - James Rayne
- #36 (33) - Absolute Greatest: 40 Years True Blue - John Williamson
- #41 (29) - Valleys of Neptune - Jimi Hendrix
- #1 (1) - Just Say So - Brian McFadden Featuring Kevin Rudolf
- #2 (6) - Alejandro - Lady Gaga
- #3 (2) - Hey, Soul Sister - Train
- #4 (5) - Whataya Want From Me - Adam Lambert
- #5 (3) - I Like That - Richard Vission & Static Revenger Featuring Luciana
- No veteran artists charting
The original four members of the Rascals came together for only the second time in the past 40 years Saturday Night for the Kristen Ann Carr Fund's A Night to Remember saluting Steven and Maureen Van Zandt. As we reported earlier this week, Little Steven had been trying to get the reunion together for a number of years and, with the special benefit, was finally able to accomplish the task.
Paul Shaffer played with the group on stage and, at one point, Bruce Springsteen joined in. Also there were Bill Murray, Whoopi Goldberg and Robert DeNiro, who owns the clug.
This set list is compiled from a number of different sources and may continue to evolve as more information comes in.
- I've Been Lonely Too Long
- In The Midnight Hour
- I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore
- You Better Run
- It's A Beautiful Morning
- Love Is A Beautiful Thing
- A Girl Like You
- How Can I Be Sure
- Come On Up
- What Is The Reason
- People Got To Be Free
- Good Lovin' (with Bruce Springsteen)
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Simply Red will be officially splitting after a series of shows in the U.K. this December. Mick Hucknall announced last year that the end of the group was near but there had been no official notice of a date.
Hucknall said in an official statement "Welcome to the final year of 25 mind-blowing years. What an adventure it has been! We want to share this closing anniversary with all the people who have enjoyed our sound throughout the years. Celebrate it and gently move on to the second half of a musical story. We all hope to see you at a show somewhere soon."
That makes the final performances December 18 and 19 at the O2 Arena in London.
Ron Isley of the Isley Brothers was released from a federal half-way house a little over a week ago and is already talking about hitting the studio to record a gospel record.
Isley says that he worked in the chapel at the prison and did weekly gospel performances for the inmates. He wants to take his love for the music and lay it down for his next release. "Some of the people that I'm working with on this album will be Lauryn Hill, T.I., Rick Ross and Burt Bacharach."
Isley will do his first post-prison performance on May 8 in Atlantic City.
Tom Petty has said he might let his music be used in another medium other than record. Petty has been adamantly against the band's music being used in commercials but recently told Parade magazine that he would consider an edition of the video game Rock Band.
"If we want this music to be accepted by coming generations, it might be a necessity but I wouldn’t want to do a commercial. A lot of younger groups want to be on commercials, but I don't."
Individual Petty songs have been available for the game, but not a full edition.
The documentary Last Play at Shea, chronicling the history of the the New York Mets and the life of Billy Joel, will premier this weekend at the Tribeca Film Festival. Included is concert footage from Joel's final shows before the demolition of the famed stadium along with interviews with both ballplayers and musicians like Tony Bennett, Garth Brooks, John Mayer and Roger Daltry.
Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys is continuing to fight the cancer that he revealed to the world last July. At that time, he said he was fighting a rare salivary gland cancer and was having surgery and post-operation treatments to take care of the disease.
There has not been a lot of word over the months on where he stands against the disease. In March, he told Entertainment Weekly that "It was touch and go there for a while but I am finally getting my energy back."
Last Tuesday, he sent an e-mail out to the Beastie's fan club talking about his use of meditation to fight the disease.
hello,Yauch has been a practicing Buddhist for many years so this is not a case of "grasping at alternative medicine" in a desperate situation. As a matter of fact, a number of sources are reporting that he is actually in the recovery phase of his treatment.
wanted to send this out to you guys in case you were into it, or wanted to give it to anyone who you think might be.
a few friends and i are meditating at the same time twice a day. 9:30am and 6:30pm eastern standard time, for about an hour and half.
we are picturing smashing apart all of the cancer cells in the world.
we are visualizing taking the energy away from the cancer, and then sending it back at the cancer as lightening bolts that will break apart the DNA and RNA of the cells. if you have the time, please join us in whipping up this lightening storm. mind over matter......
if you prefer to sit then sit, but if you are not used to meditating, or sitting quietly doesn't sound like fun, put on some music and dance while you do the visualization, and if you want to do it at some other time, or picture curing some other illness that's fine too. yoko will be joining the meditation by visualizing all of us dancing with joy to celebrate the world without cancer. all variations are welcome. this is really just being done with a wish for all beings to be cured of all illnesses and to find true lasting happiness.
i'll also be saying prayers for the earthquake victims in tibet, so join in on that if you can too.
please feel free to pass this onto anyone who you think may find it interesting.
with all my love,
No word yet, though, on the release of the delayed Beasties' album Hot Sauce Committee, Part 1. The last announcement said they were hoping for September but that will most likely be changed if Yauch is not ready to do the promotional tour.
Spin magazine is in the midst of celebrating their 25th anniversary and, as part of the festivities, have released their list of the 125 best albums of the past 25 years.
In the past, we've put Spin's lists in the "too cool for school" category, constantly leaning towards the current "artsy" artists vs. reviewing the complete music scene, and this list is no different. While it has three albums by Outkast and two by artists like P.J. Harvey, Bjork and the Flaming Lips, it doesn't include one album by such stalwarts as Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan who have recorded some of the best albums of the long careers during this time (see The Rising and Modern Times, both released in the last decade).
Here are the top five along with all other albums by veterans artists that were named to the list:
- 001. Achtung Baby - U2
- 002. Sign O' the Times - Prince
- 003. The Queen is Dead - Smiths
- 004. Nevermind - Nirvana
- 005. OK Computer - Radiohead
- 011. Tim - Replacements
- 013. Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth
- 014. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
- 015. New Day Rising - Husker Du
- 020. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
- 024. Master of Puppets - Metallica
- 035. Automatic For the People - R.E.M.
- 036. Psychocandy - Jesus and Mary Chain
- 038. Raising Hell - Run-DMC
- 044. Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys
- 053. The Head on the Door - Cure
- 062. The Joshua Tree - U2
- 063. Fables of Reconstruction - R.E.M.
- 064. The Soft Bulletin - Flaming Lips
- 067. Rain Dog - Tom Waits
- 072. Lucinda Williams - Lucinda Williams
- 073. Rum, Sodomy & the Lash - Pogues
- 080. This Nation's Saving Grace - Fall
- 083. Guitar Town - Steve Earle
- 084. Radio - LL Cool J
- 091. Strangeways, Here We Come - Smiths
- 098. American Recordings - Johnny Cash
- 117. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - Flaming Lips
To see the whole list and the comments on each album, go to the Spin website.
Last week we published an article talking about Roger Hodgson's disappointment in former Supertramp partner Rick Davies over the fact that Davies was taking the group out on the road without Hodgson.
A statement on Hodgson's website said:
Rick and Roger are two very different artists – two songwriters with two very distinctive styles of music – and this year you’ll have the opportunity to see both! If you want to hear the legendary voice and classical pop rock of songs like The Logical Song, Dreamer or Give a Little Bit you can come see Roger at one of his shows. And if you want the legendary voice and more jazzy blues sound of Rick’s songs like Bloody Well Right, Goodbye Stranger or Rudy you can have that, too.Today, the Supertramp website was updated with the following announcement:
And as this is the first time in a long time that Supertramp is touring at the same time as Roger, we are really hoping that Rick honors the agreement he made with Roger when he left 27 years ago for the band not to play Roger’s songs as this has created a lot of confusion for the public in past years. That was what Rick and Roger both knew would help create a clear delineation between Supertramp and Roger Hodgson when they agreed to part ways. The agreement was for Supertramp to become a vehicle for Rick’s music and that Roger would go forward with his future secured by his songs and his voice. Roger wouldn’t have given up the name if he thought Rick was going to continue playing his songs, because otherwise he was leaving the band with nothing. We feel it is only morally and ethically right that Rick abide by the promise that he made to Roger. And besides that, Rick has so many great songs to fill more than a whole concert.
Supertramp has announced their 70-10 TOUR, celebrating forty years since the release of their first album, “Supertramp”, in 1970. The tour will begin on September 2, 2010 in Halle, Germany and will include thirty-five shows in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, England and Ireland.
Joining Supertramp’s founder, lead singer and keyboardist, Rick Davies, are legendary Supertramp members John Anthony Helliwell, saxophones and woodwinds, and Bob Sieben- berg, drums. Veterans of past Supertramp tours, Jesse Siebenberg, lead vocals, guitars and percussion, Cliff Hugo, bass, Carl Verheyen, guitars and Lee Thornburg, horns, will round out the lineup.
Rick Davies, along with set and lighting designer, Michael Brian Duncan, is developing a new stage production that will provide the audience with a total Supertramp experience, a delight for both the eyes and ears. Rehearsals are currently underway in New York and during the two hour plus show the band will perform a plethora of classics from their forty year history, including Bloody Well Right, Dreamer, From Now On, Goodbye Stranger, The Logical Song, Rudy and many, many more.
It's the last sentence that makes it clear that Davies has no intention of honoring the agreement that Hodgson referenced, specifically saying that Supertramp will be playing The Logical Song and Dreamer.
In reality, only Hodgson, Davies and, possibly, a few insiders know the details of the original agreement. Was is on paper or between gentlemen? Is this something that will end up in the courts or just in the court of public opinion? The ball has been lobbed back to Hodgson for the next move.
Our weekly recap of veteran artists on the current American music charts. Chart highlights:
- Jeff Beck debuts this week at number 11 with Emotion and Commotion, giving him the top selling album by a veteran artist. This is the highest he has been on the Album chart since Blow By Blow reached number 4 in 1975 and the second highest he has ever been on the chart including all of his projects (Yardbirds, Beck, Bogart & Appice, etc.)
- Natalie Merchant debuts twice this week with Leave Your Sleep, a two-CD set, at 17 and the single CD Selections From the Album Leave Your Sleep at 101 (they also premier 1 and 3 on the Folk Album chart). Ophelia (1998) was her last album to do as well, reaching number 8.
- A Muddy Waters compilation that was on sale last week at Amazon debuts at 133 on the Album and number 1 on the Blues charts. The Father of the Chicago Blues sets the mark as the highest charting album ever for Waters on the Blues tally and the best he has done on the Album chart since 1969's Fathers and Songs which reached number 70.
- Elvis week on American Idol pushed two Elvis Presley compilations into the lower part of the Album chart while recent media appearances by Sade pushes Soldier of Love from 19 to 12 and puts the Best of Sade back in the top 200.
- The first single from Ozzy Osbourne's upcoming album, Let Me Hear Your Scream, starts at number 23 on the Rock Song chart. It was premiered on a recent episode of CSI: New York.
Top 200 Albums
- #1 (1) - My World 2.0 - Justin Bieber
- #2 (N) - Congratulations - MGMT
- #3 (4) - Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
- #4 (2) - Raymond V Raymond - Usher
- #5 (N) - Year of the Black Rainbow - Coheed & Cambria
- #11 (N) - Emotion & Commotion - Jeff Beck
- #12 (19) - Soldier of Love - Sade
- #17 (N) - Leave Your Sleep - Natalie Merchant
- #33 (22) - Valleys of Neptune - Jimi Hendrix
- #58 (10) - Sticky & Sweet Tour - Madonna
- #91 (113) - Legend: The Best of - Bob Marley and the Wailers
- #92 (87) - Number Ones - Michael Jackson
- #93 (97) - Keep On Loving You - Reba McEntire
- #94 (115) - Greatest Hits - Journey
- #101 (N) - Selections From the Album Leave Your Sleep - Natalie Merchant
- #102 (83) - American VI: Ain't No Grave - Johnny Cash
- #105 (45) - Midnight Souvenirs - Peter Wolf
- #107 (80) - Somewhere Down the Road - Amy Grant
- #123 (116) - This is It - Michael Jackson
- #124 (134) - Chronicle: The 20 Greatest Hits - Creedence Clearwater Revival
- #127 (162) - Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
- #133 (N) - The Father of the Chicago Blues - Muddy Waters
- #140 (151) - Greatest Hits - Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
- #152 (141) - Essential - Michael Jackson
- #155 (154) - Greatest Hits - Motley Crue
- #156 (158) - The Circle - Bon Jovi
- #157 (170) - Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
- #158 (165) - Mothership - Led Zeppelin
- #162 (R) - Best of - Sade
- #166 (184) - Gold: Greatest Hits - ABBA
- #169 (98) - All In Love - Karen Clark-Sheard
- #175 (138) - Sting in the Tail - Scorpions
- #181 (194) - Back in Black - AC/DC
- #182 (R) - The Definitive Collection - Lionel Richie
- #186 (R) - Elvis 75 - Elvis Presley
- #197 (96) - Here Lies Love - David Byrne & Fatboy Slim
- #198 (181) - Thriller - Michael Jackson
- #199 (R) - Elv1s: 30 #1 Hits - Elvis Presley
Top 100 Singles
- #1 (2) - Nothin' On You - B.o.B Featuring Bruno Mars
- #2 (1) - Rude Boy - Rihanna
- #3 (3) - Hey, Soul Sister - Train
- #4 (4) - Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz Featuring Ludacris
- #5 (6) - Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
- #85 (90) - I Gotta Get to You - George Strait
Friday, April 23, 2010
It took Steven Van Zandt thirty years of working with the four original members of the Rascals to put together the performance that he'll see on Saturday Night. The Kristen Ann Carr Fund is presenting A Night to Remember at the Tribeca Grill in New York honoring Van Zandt and his wife Maureen and the original Rascals have agreed to appear.
The group first formed 1964 with members Felix Cavaliere, Eddie Brigati, Gene Cornish and Dino Danelli. Over the next eight years, they would have thirteen top forty hits including three that went to number one (Good Lovin', Groovin' and People Got To Be Free).
Van Zandt told the site Backstreets "We first met around 1980 to discuss reuniting the band and have tried every five years or so. Maureen suggested we give it one more shot and sure enough it took Kristen's amazing spirit to finally get it done.
"Rehearsals have been incredible and of course my hope is they can stay together and finally show the world why they are one of Rock and Roll history's greatest bands."
Gene Cornish added "I speak on behalf of the band when I say all the money offers in the world could not entice the Rascals to reunite but four phone calls from Stevie and without hesitation we enthusiastically and immediately agreed to both support this wonderful cause and honor Stevie and Maureen."
People.com is reporting that Bret Michaels has suffered a brain hemorrhage and is in critical condition at an undisclosed hospital.
Michaels, 47, complained of a severe headache on Thursday night and was rushed to the hospital where doctors found that he had a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage, severe bleeding at the base of the brain stem. A source told people "After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation."
Less than two weeks ago, Michaels was taken to a San Antonio area hospital due to stomach pain. It was discovered that he had acute appendicitis and underwent surgery for its removal. His recovery was complicated due to the fact that Michaels has diabetes and he has spent his time recovering in a rehab facility that is dedicated to those suffering from the disease.
UPDATE (4/24/10 12:51 AM) - TMZ is reporting that Michaels is stabilized and conscious.