This September will bring the release of the first Jerry Lee Lewis album since 1995. "Redemption" was supposed to be released over a year ago but was put on the shelf because of the closing of DreamWorks records in Nashville. Playing on the album are Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jaggar, B.B. King, Jimmy Page and other luminaries.
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Sunday, April 23, 2006
For those of us still in love with vinyl records, an article like this is music to our ears.
It seems young music-fans are finding they like the sound quality on vinyl better, the artwork of the jackets are more appealing and the artists are much more "authentic" then today's artists.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
If you live anywhere near New Orleans, do everything you can to get to this years Jazz & Heritage Festival. Not only is it a great way to help this struggling city, but there is an amazing line-up of artists, including:
- Friday, April 28 - Bob Dylan, Dr. John, Keb' Mo', Ani DiFranco
- Saturday, April 29 - Dave Matthews Band, Clarence "Frogman" Henry, Etta James, Hugh Masekela, Herbie Hancock
- Sunday, April 30 - Allen Toussaint with Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band, the Meters
- Friday, May 5 - Doug Kershaw, Little Feet, Keith Urban
- Saturday, May 6 - Frankie Ford, Jimmy Buffett, Susan Cowsill, Ohio Players
- Sunday, May 7 - Irma Thomas, Paul Simon, Sam Moore, Lionel Richie, Fats Domino
When Bonnie Raitt helped start the Pioneer Awards in 1989, she envisioned a way to salute the pioneers of R&B along with providing financial assistance to those who have been less fortunate in the industry. Unfortunately, three years ago, the awards found themselves in dire financial states and the yearly salute fell by the wayside.
On June 29th, the awards will return with hosts Patti LaBelle and Smokey Robinson. This year's honorees are Chubby Checker, Bettye LaVette, the Delfonics, Thom Bell and Barbara Mason. Additional awards go to Barry Gordy (Lifetime Achievement) and Otis Redding (Legacy).
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
I'm very sad today. One of my favorites of the early rock/pop performers passed away today while on tour in the U.K.
Gene Pitney evidently died of natural causes at 65. He was a distinctive voice and a great songwriter with hits like "Only Love Can Break a Heart", "(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance", "Town Without Pity", "It Hurts to Be in Love" and "I'm Gonna Be Strong." He also wrote for others including Rick Nelson ("Hello Mary Lou"), the Crystals ("He's a Rebel") and Bobby Vee ("Rubber Ball"). Overall, he had 16 Top 40 hits in the U.S. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame four years ago.
Monday, April 03, 2006
Everyone is familiar with the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame, but did you know that there is an organization dedicated to enshrining the great vocal groups? The Vocal Group Hall of Fame was started in January 1997 to honor vocal groups in every genre of music.
Located in Sharon, Pennsylvania, the organization is currently renovating their museum, restaurant and banquet center to accommodate additional displays. It should be reopening in the Fall of 2006.
They were also instrumental in the Truth in Music Bill which recently passed the Pennsylvania legislature which limits the ability of people to tour under group names in which they do not have ownership. The current inductees in the Hall:
- 1998 Inductees - Ames Brothers, Andrews Sisters, Beach Boys, Boswell Sisters, Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, Crosby Stills & Nash, Golden Gate Quartet, Original Drifters, Mills Brothers, Manhattan Transfer, Platters, Ravens, Sonny Til and the Orioles, Supremes
- 1999 Inductees - Coasters, Delta Rhythm Boys, Little Anthony & the Imperials, Hank Ballard & the Midnighters, Ink Spots, Moonglows, Modernaires, Four Tops, Temptations, Four Seasons, Spinners, Peter Paul & Mary, Revelers, Jackson Five
- 2000 Inductees - Dixie Hummingbirds, Skylarks, Soul Stirrers, Flamingos, Kingston Trio, Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers, Dion & the Belmonts, Ben E. King & the Drifters, Mamas & Papas, Three Dog Night, Bangles
- 2001 Inductees - BeeGees, Chordettes, Eagles, Four Aces, Four Freshman, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Lennon Sisters, Lettermen, McGuire Sisters, Oak Ridge Boys, Pied Pipers, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Vogues, Weavers
- 2002 Inductees - Abbas, Chantels, Clovers, 5th Dimension, Five Keys, Four Knights, Harptones, Jay & the Americans, Marcels, Shirelles, Skyliners, Swan Silvertones
- 2003 Inductees - Association, Charioteers, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, Five Satins, Four Lads, Impressions, Isley Brothers, Danny & the Juniors, Mercy Macs, Peerless Quartet, Martha & the Vandellas, Whispers
- 2004 Inductees - American Quartet, Four Tunes, Cadillacs, Crests, Dells, Diamonds, Jordanaires, Penguins, Beatles, Marvelettes, O'Jays, Ronettes, Tokens, Doobie Brothers, Stylistics, Alabama, Everly Brothers
For more information, go to http://www.vghf.org/