- 1898 - Morris Stoloff (d. 1980)
- 1929 - Mack Magaha (Porter Wagoner, Reno & Smiley) (d. 2003)
- 1931 - Ramblin' Jack Elliott (84)
- 1942 - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) (d. 1995)
- 1943 - Denis Payton (Dave Clark Five) (d. 2006)
- 1946 - Boz Burrell (Bad Company, King Crimson) (d. 2006)
- 1947 - Ronnie King (68)
- 1947 - Rick Anderson (The Tubes) (68)
- 1947 - Rick Coonce (Grass Roots) (d. 2011)
- 1951 - Tim Bachman (Bachman-Turner Overdrive) (64)
- 1951 - Tommy Bolin (Zephyr, James Gang, Deep Purple) (d. 1976)
- 1953 - Robert Cray (60)
- 1958 - Michael Penn (57)
- 1958 - Rob Buck (10,000 Maniacs) (d. 2000)
- 1959 - Joe Elliott (Def Leppard) (56)
- 1960 - Chuck D (born Carlton Ridenhour) (55)
- 1960 - Suzi Gardner (L7) (55)
- 1963 - Coolio (born Artis Ivory, Jr) (52)
- 1964 - Adam Duritz (Counting Crows) (51)
- 1964 - Nick Christian Sayer (Transvision Vamp) (51)
- 1966 - George Ducas (49)
- 1968 - Dan Donegan (Disturbed) (47)
- 1970 - Kenwyn House (Reef) (45)
- 1978 - Dhani Harrison (37)
- 1981 - Ashley Parker Angel (O-Town) (34)
- 2005 - Al Aronowitz (original manager of Velvet Underground, rock writer) - Cancer (77)
- 2007 - Tommy Makem (Clancy Brothers) - Lung Cancer (74)
On This Day
- 1954 - The Moondog Jubilee of Stars Under the Stars is held at Ebbet's Field in Chicago with ats Domino, Muddy Waters, the Clovers, the Orioles and Little Walter.
- 1955 - A tour kicked off in Tupelo, MS with Webb Pierce, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Wanda Jackson.
- 1963 - The first Beatles Monthly magazine was published.
- 1970 - Performance starring Mick Jagger premiered in London.
- 1971 - George Harrison held his Concert For Bangladesh in New York with guests Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell and Ravi Shankar.
- 1971 - Tony Kaye quit Yes for Badger. Rick Wakeman takes his place.
- 1977 - The book Elvis: What Happened? by his former bodyguard Steve Sunleavy was released.
- 1980 - George Harrison formed his Hand Made Films Productions.
- 1980 - Def Leppard made their U.S. concert debut in New York.
- 1990 - UB40 was deported from the Seychelles after marijuana was found in their rooms.
- 1990 - A bank foreclosed on the mansion of Dottie West after the singer fell into financial difficulties.
- 1994 - Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley announced they had been married 11 weeks earlier.
- 2000 - AC/DC opened their Stiff Upper Lip tour in Grand Rapids, MI.
- 2006 - A man was killed in the moshpit at a Korn concert in Atlanta.
- 2006 - Drummer Jon Theodore left the Mars Volta.
- 2007 - Eminem's publishing company sued Apple for allowing the rapper's music to be sold on iTunes.
- 2009 - Country singer Billy Currington suffered a concussion when the stage at a Camrose, Alberta show collapsed during a thunderstorm.
- 1981 - Kix Brooks and Barbara
- 1987 - Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) and Siobhan Fahey (Bananarama)
- 2007 - Usher and Tameka Foster
- 2009 - Mark Wahlberg and Rhea Durham
- 1927 - Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow, The Storms Are On the Ocean - Carter Family (first recording session)
- 1960 - Today I Sing the Blues - Aretha Franklin (her first secular recording)
- 1966 - The Fugitive - Merle Haggard
- 2000 - Music - Madonna (single) - Release was made two weeks early due to illegal download leak.
- 1971 - Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour (CBS) - Premier
- 1981 - MTV premiered
- 1987 - MTV Europe premiered
- 1996 - MTV2 premiered
Number Ones – U.S. Singles
- 1964 - A Hard Day's Night - Beatles (2 weeks)
- 1981 - Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield (2 weeks)
- 1987 - Shakedown - Bob Seger (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. Albums
- 1959 (mono albums) - At Large - Kingston Trio (15 weeks)
- 1998 - Hello Nasty - Beastie Boys (3 weeks)
- 2009 - Leave This Town - Daughtry (1 week)
Number Ones – U.S. R&B Singles
- 1970 - Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder (6 weeks)
- 1992 - Giving Him Something He Can Feel - En Vogue (1 week)
- 1998 - Friend of Mine - Kelly Price (5 weeks)
Number Ones – U.S. Country Singles
- 1953 - Rub-a-Dub-Dub - Hank Thompson (3 weeks)
- 1981 - Dixie On My Mind - Hank Williams, Jr. (1 week)
- 1987 - Snap Your Fingers - Ronnie Milsap (1 week)
- 1992 - Boot Scootin' Boogie - Brooks & Dunn (4 weeks)
- 1998 - To Make You Feel My Love - Garth Brooks (1 week)
- 2009 - People Are Crazy - Billy Currington (2 weeks)
Number Ones – U.K. Singles
- 1963 - (You're the) Devil in Disguise - Elvis Presley (1 week)
- 1970 - The Wonder of You - Elvis Presley (6 weeks)
- 1981 - Green Door - Shakin' Stevens (4 weeks)
- 1987 - La Bamba - Los Lobos (2 weeks)
- 1999 - When You Say Nothing at All - Ronan Keating (2 weeks)
- 2004 - Thunderbirds/3 AM - Busted (2 weeks)
- 2010 - All Time Low - Wanted (1 week)
Number Ones – U.K. Albums
- 1987 - Hits 6 - Various Artists (4 weeks)
- 2004 - Live in Hyde Park - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2 weeks)